advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sleddyeddy

Reaction score
ok well i just got a 90 gmc sle reg cab long box. it has a slight miss at idle but has lots of power and doesnt miss a beat when driving. when in park doesnt seem to miss to bad but when in drive seems to be the worst i just did the wires today. thinking i should to the coil cap an rotor and plugs as well.

it also seems to burn oil, when you set hard on the gas it blows blue smoke out the pipe. any suggestions

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Plugs or fuel injector is my thought on the miss. Run a can or two of SeaFoam in your gas tank for the injectors, and change the plugs.

The burning oil is a bit trickier. It could be bad piston rings. If so, you're looking at a bigger tear-down to fix those. I'm not sure all of the ways that an engine burns oil, so I'll leave it at that.

sleddyeddy

Reaction score
a couple people have mentioned this seafoam stuff i have never heard of any info on this.
i hope its something a little less serious than tearing the motor down if thats the case ill just replace the damn thing

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seafoam is good stuff. You can run it in 3 main areas and it completely cleans up all moving parts in the engine. If you do the full treatment, you'd put a full can in the gas tank, half a can in with the oil, and the other half of that can into a vacuum line or the top end (not recommended to do the top end on older engines - long story, but it makes sense). Based on the slight miss, I am thinking injectors, so that would be just a full can into the gas tank and call it a day. That is the easiest of the 3 treatment areas to do also - the other two are a bit more involved.

Another possibility could be just bad gas or a fuel filter needing replaced, but I'd do the SeaFoam first.

sleddyeddy

Reaction score
goin to get some sea foam, i took the truck to a mechanic buddy he says valves for the burning oil

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
valve stem seals... they normally dont smoke when driving only when you first start it... man im with these guys RINGS... do a compression check pull all 8 plugs and get someone in side to turn it over while you hold the throttle open..

sleddyeddy

Reaction score
i changed all the plugs and misfire is gone the motor appears to be on the lean side plugs a little white so that should mean it shouldnt be compression