Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator for 7.4l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am diagnosing an issue where my truck starts up for a second but then sputters and dies. I was thinking I need to replace my fuel pressure regulator. Has anyone put in an adjustable FPR on a 7.4L? My truck is a 96' supercharged k3500.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not a horrible idea, but from what I can tell the FPR is fairly integral to the fuel rail itself, even though it is a replaceable part, so you'd need to find a delphi drop in that allowed you to make adjustments, which I cant tell you if one exists. If you could go that route, you'd have to remove the upper intake manifold every time you needed to make an adjustment. Or you'd have to find a way to bypass the stock FPR which would include changing the fuel return system as well. Not impossible if you are a machinist or fabricator. Have you taken a fuel pressure reading? Are you leaking down?

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should probably just give up and sell Tom or I the blower! haha just kidding. Sounds like a fuel issue. Check pressure to start.

Could be your fuel pump too.

What would the purpose of the adjustable regulator be? If you mess with fuel pressure you have to change it in the tune. The injector flow rate is dependent on pressure.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have not tested yet. do you have links to test the pressure and check for leak down?
You should probably just give up and sell Tom or I the blower! haha just kidding. Sounds like a fuel issue. Check pressure to start.

What would the purpose of the adjustable regulator be? If you mess with fuel pressure you have to change it in the tune. The injector flow rate is dependent on pressure.
Have you tested fuel pressure before throwing parts at it?
Not a horrible idea, but from what I can tell the FPR is fairly integral to the fuel rail itself, even though it is a replaceable part, so you'd need to find a delphi drop in that allowed you to make adjustments, which I cant tell you if one exists. If you could go that route, you'd have to remove the upper intake manifold every time you needed to make an adjustment. Or you'd have to find a way to bypass the stock FPR which would include changing the fuel return system as well. Not impossible if you are a machinist or fabricator. Have you taken a fuel pressure reading? Are you leaking down?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get one of the Aeromotive boost referenced pressure regulators that can be mounted on the fuel rail down below. See if you can gut your factory regulator and put it all back together.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Oh man don't tease me like that... I'd probably throw a piston through the hood if I tried to supercharge my engine without a proper rebuild. Not to mention spending that kind of dough on my truck right now would render me single and living in a run down travel trailer with visitation rights every other weekend.

Keep the supercharger and figure out the deeper issue first. Let us know when you have some numbers from a fuel pressure test. For $hit$ and giggles, what do you have for injectors???

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh man don't tease me like that... I'd probably throw a piston through the hood if I tried to supercharge my engine without a proper rebuild. Not to mention spending that kind of dough on my truck right now would render me single and living in a run down travel trailer with visitation rights every other weekend.

Keep the supercharger and figure out the deeper issue first. Let us know when you have some numbers from a fuel pressure test. For $hit$ and giggles, what do you have for injectors???
I believe I have the Ford 42# injectors but I'd have to check my notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk