Adding daytime running lights to a 95

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob

Reaction score
Would it be simple to add the controls for the factory daytime running light? I see I can buy the module and there is a place for the indicator bulb in the cluster. Would it be a simple as plugging the module in or is the wiring even there for it?

I also see there is a place in the cluster for a low coolant indicator and I have a spare wire with a connector hanging around my reservoir. Did the 400s even have this on any of them? I know newer body styles did.

Jacob

Reaction score
Yeah I want them. I want people to be able to see me when it is hard to see what is coming.

I never understood why people are so against them.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I want to be what decides when my lights are on. I'm very diligent about when I need to be more visible while driving. I'm also quite attentive to the laws regarding headlight usage versus atmospheric conditions and the sunrise/sunset schedule. Maybe I'm the exception; and I don't need my vehicle to automatically turn on lights for me.

Here's a good example of when I don't need the DRL's on. Say I'm backed in to my carport. It is nighttime. My headlights are aimed directly into old Mr. Frank and Mrs. Penny's bedroom and they're trying to sleep.. Boy, sure wish I could be courteous to my neighbors and not shine 2400 lumens of HIR'S into their bedroom window. What's that? DRL's don't put out the same light intensity that low beams do? They're still shining and its still sh¡tty. Well gee, they just stay on all the time...sorry about that. Nope. Me, I'd rather just shut them off.

I guess if you wanted to have lights on all the time, maybe they could be your running/parking lights. Ymmv

Last edited:

Jacob

Reaction score
The drls can be turned off for times like that. Since you are concerned about being courteous to other people does that mean that you left you headlights stock and aimed properly so you don't blind oncoming traffic?

I don't want to argue about it I just want to know if the wiring is there to put them in.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
My headlights are pretty legit, man. Not blue or purple, no blinding oncoming drivers, just good clean stock colored light pointed right at the road in front of me, when I want my headlights on.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the nicest sense possible, sounds like an unnecessary amount of work when all you have to is turn them on when you want them on.

Jacob

Reaction score
Again it isn't wanting to see it is about being seen.

It kinda bugs me that it doesn't have them. It really bugs me not having automatic lights after having them for so long.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This thread is about a simple question, not about personal philosophies on freedom or whatever. I think we should all try to help each other out, that's what these forums are all about.

My OBS does have the DRL feature, and i personally like that, but I don't know how to tell if the wiring and module are in all the trucks. In my old BMW, the feature was activated in the vehicle computer, but not sure about the GMT 400s. Might be worth asking at a dealership whether this is possible.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
This thread is about a simple question, not about personal philosophies on freedom or whatever. I think we should all try to help each other out, that's what these forums are all about.

My OBS does have the DRL feature, and i personally like that, but I don't know how to tell if the wiring and module are in all the trucks. In my old BMW, the feature was activated in the vehicle computer, but not sure about the GMT 400s. Might be worth asking at a dealership whether this is possible.

That's cool, man, but what you've posted is YOUR personal philosophy, while I posted mine. Your opinion is your opinion. Mine is mine. Perhaps I was trying to help by offering a perspective about not having convenience or even further thoughtlessness over personal responsibility. Perhaps I was trying to suggest to the OP that the module could be in his conscience instead of hardwired into his truck. Maybe that helps him truck, maybe it helps him in life. Maybe it doesn't. Remember, this is the internet.

So, I was trying to help. Just not the same way as you. Happy motoring.