Add-a-leaf?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
for shocks, i reccomend bilstien 5100's... for the price you cannot beat them. They are some of the best shocks for the price. and AAL's are pretty straight forward. a little bit of pb blaster or wd40 and a few C clamps and the basic tools and that's all you need. i had to do mine when i installed my 6" rcx. you get about 3" of lift.

Installation: all you really do is remove the leafs from the truck with those two bolts that hold them on as well as the u-bolts. I recommend spraying with pb or oil a day in advanced. my bolts were a pain in the arse to get out. Especailly the one that holds all the leafs together. you will need a pair of decent vice grips for it, when i took the springs off, I also removed the shackle and kept it on the leafs so you can move it around to align it back with the hole the bolt goes through.

You have to cut the C cups that hold the leafs together, or else you cant put the AAL where its suppose to go. you can guy some new clamp mounts from autozone or oreillys that can keep them together but its not nessicary, i dont have any clamps on mine but then again they keep the leafs in place and help keep them from moving. All it really does is give you alot more flex. the rear flexes like mad horse while off road, i actually get alot of questions and comments about how my truck flexes pretty good, but then again i need some clamps..

All you do is compress the springs with 4 -Claps before you remove them, and take them out. be careful because its under a lot of pressure, hints why i reccomend 4 c-clamps. and slowly unscrew all of them, turning each one a few times and work your way around until the load is off.

Then you cut the cupler off the springs and remove the leaf spring bolt in the middle that holds them together and spread the leafs apart and toss the AAL in the correct spot (some vary) and then re-compress the springs back together with the c-clamps and torque down the center leaf bolt, not too much but pretty good so its not loose (it may need to be soaked in oil a few times to get it out, mine were both siezed bad) then re-compress the springs with the clamps and re-install. The hardest part for ME was aligning the holes together on the front hangar, you will have to play around with it for a little bit and then torque the bolts back in. Its pretty straight forward, took me about 2 1/2 hours to install my 4" block and 3" AAL. But i was learning and teaching myself along the way.

In the pic below shows my procedure. you can also see where i cut the couplings. as well as some tools you might need. Also AAL's are good for hauling and towing, the back of my truck is STIFFFFFF. noting too bad though, i have faith it can tow some serious cargo before it sags. haha but AALs will settle about an inch over time so take that into consideration

You must be registered for see images attach

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So basically you find a wrecked 3/4 truck at the junk yard and take the leaf springs off and change then out?

Tapatapatalk

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks..I think I well have to do this..I think my leafs are bad anyways I weigh 150 and I can push my bed up and down with ease...probably need new shocks too

Tapatapatalk

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Meant to ask if out has to be 4x4 since mine is

Tapatapatalk

Not sure and i dont think they would be different. I pulled mine out of a city truck and measured them from eyehole to the bolt in the center of the pack.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure and i dont think they would be different. I pulled mine out of a city truck and measured them from eyehole to the bolt in the center of the pack.

Ok...cause I'm going to stay looking soon and just thought of that... How DOS you lift your truck?

Tapatapatalk

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I ended up putting the jack under the hitch receiver to lift the truck and put jack stands under the frame near the back of the cab. I also had blocks in front of the front wheels

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jack and block of wood under the spare tire and then put jack stands under the frame.