Add a leaf, helper springs, or...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd like to add a leaf, install helper springs, or... So that the truck is not sitting on the tires when I have 2 yards of gravel in the back. I know that this is heavy, very heavy, but it's for a few flat miles at low speeds. I'm not terribly educated about the leaf springs and would like something that can take up the extra load without making the rear ride too stiff, or sketchy, but she is not a daily driver either. Any suggestions?

She's a '96 K1500, 5.7L, ECLB, with a 14-bolt semi floater and a 4L60E.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. That is what I was leaning towards as the springs are probably sagging from age as the truck sits level unloaded.

Does it matter where the add-a-leaf fits in the stack? I always figured it would be one above the bottom most, the sort of a straight helper spring, since it seems it would do most good there.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
The helper spring would make the most sense to accomplish what you want, since that's what it's for. It's a "helper" spring. Haha

Or you could get helper bags in the back. That would be what I did. That way your ride doesn't change when you're just driving around, but when you need it, you can use the bags.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought about all of these and am going to go with a double speared approach...adding a leaf and putting a Monroe load leveler on it. It will shake out to about $130 when it's all said and done.

I'd like the bags, but for the price I'm shy to tell you the truth. This truck sits on the side of the driveway for months on end and is not daily driven. Even though I love it to death, maintain it, and am slowly restoring it to it's original glory, it's a $2100 truck that is driven mainly when it's 8' bed is needed, whether that be couple of yards of dirt/gravel, or 1200 lbs of motorcycles plus gear in the back.

Thanks for the advice though.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I looked at those too, but the price was a little more than I was looking for.

Ya they are up there. I got lucky since they were on the truck when I bought it. They are really worth it though, no harsh ride like with an add a leaf.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought about all of these and am going to go with a double speared approach...adding a leaf and putting a Monroe load leveler on it. It will shake out to about $130 when it's all said and done.

I'd like the bags, but for the price I'm shy to tell you the truth. This truck sits on the side of the driveway for months on end and is not daily driven. Even though I love it to death, maintain it, and am slowly restoring it to it's original glory, it's a $2100 truck that is driven mainly when it's 8' bed is needed, whether that be couple of yards of dirt/gravel, or 1200 lbs of motorcycles plus gear in the back.

Thanks for the advice though.

Oh....if this is just a around the house truck youre not using to haul everyday, AAL. Cheapest way to do it.