Actuator failed? Or something else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArthurC

Reaction score
My truck has been binding for quite some time now. I really don't think of it much as it doesn't affect the truck's performance any other than when I'm making tight turns coming out of my driveway. It feels like the front wheel is binding up.

When I first bought the truck and driving it home on the freeway it would randomly bind up and "bang" as if I hit a pothole but would then continue driving fine. I eventually stopped at a convenience store and cycled the 4WD thinking maybe it had gotten stuck in 4WD. After cycling it, it seemed to drive smoothly home, no more violent binding.

Since then it seems to bind up when making tight turns as if I'm in 4WD (however I know I'm not in 4WD, and the 4WD still works perfectly fine). Is this the actuator or something that's failed leaving everything locked? Or would it be something else like a U joint or could it be my CV?

Just looking for some insight before I go and start throwing parts at it. What should I be looking at to diagnose this properly?

EDIT: I guess I should mention that when I saying binding, it's not near the normal bind you'd see when you turn tightly in 4WD on dry surfaces. It's just a light binding and maybe it's normal axle stuff, not sure.

Last edited:

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
How are the boots on the outer cv joint? Are they intact and holding grease?Could be something going on with the ball bearings in them....all I got.