AC Question: Leaking high side valve?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Already replaced the low side valve, but noticed the high side valve hisses when I take the cap off with the truck off. It doesn't have the same shrader valve as the low side, and I saw there's a replacement part for it, but wondering A) is it supposed to hiss like this (guessing no) B) is there a way to replace it without evacuating the system.

You must be registered for see images attach

And the part I'm thinking of (ACDelco 15-5438) https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-5438-Original-Equipment-Conditioning/dp/B0012P1SA8

Tzfbird

Reaction score
I've had that on a couple of my vehicles in the last few years. It seems to be a rubber or plastic ball that splits at the seam. On mine I just replaced the line instead. Good luck though and probably not on changing it without system evacuation. I suppose you can if you don't want to do it correctly.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Impossible without evacuating the system. You will lose all your refrigerant at best, and risk severe frostbite at worst. Evacuate, replace the valve with one with a Schrader valve, and recharge.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had that on a couple of my vehicles in the last few years. It seems to be a rubber or plastic ball that splits at the seam. On mine I just replaced the line instead. Good luck though and probably not on changing it without system evacuation. I suppose you can if you don't want to do it correctly.

Curious why you replaced the line? It seems like an easy nut to screw off, but I haven't bothered until I get the system evacuated.