AC problem :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
It had aluminum debris on it, mainly looked like silver dust.. but there was some rice size aluminum chunks on it also..
Compressor is probably shot huh?

I did realize upon more searching, the compressor clutch is working as in it will quick cycle on and off when Freon is in the getting too low range, and it'll stay off once too low... But, when it's working and blowing cold.. before it blows the seal in the high port, the clutch stays on.. it never turns off with the AC turned on. Could it also be a bad High Pressure Switch? Maybe the switch is the original culprit that caused everything?

Reaction score
Lol, Dylan.. I'm the same way! The AC in my 98 works amazing, but I don't use it at all..lol
This is my daughters truck tho, and since she will be taking her younger sisters to and from school in it, I kinda want it to have the AC working.. especially it being a black truck, it gets really hot inside it :(
It's been kicking my butt since we got it, if it ain't one thing it's another..Lmmfao!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not likely. If you have silver dust, and chunks, the compressor is on its way to the scrap bin. Orifice could be plugging intermittently from debris. The switch cuts the compressor out at over 400 psi, and you are probably blowing the charge port before you hit that pressure. You're fighting a losing battle. I know it isn't cheap, but I would highly recommend rebuilding the system. Compressor, condenser, drier, orifice tube, and flush the lines and evap. Be sure to use a NEW R4 compressor, the reman units I have used have never worked right.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me about it. I'm trying to muster the strength of will to put a new pump in my transmission. Not something I'm look forward to doing. And the parts!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

496BBC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Air is non-condensable, you must pull a vacuum anytime the system is opened or it will never work correctly.

Air left in the system will always cause extremely high head pressure,

The picture you posted of the part leaking appears to be the service port for the gauges,

If you have a air compressor you can purchase a air operated vacuum pump from harbor freight for around $20, its not the best option but it will work.

You really need to know what the pressures are to know what's going on with the system.

Neal

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Well the real point of vacuuming the system is to boil any water that is in there out. This is done by creating a vacuum in which water boils at room temperature. The process starts by discharging the system then holding the vacuum for 15-30 minutes to boil the water out then the recharge begins.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
It had aluminum debris on it, mainly looked like silver dust.. but there was some rice size aluminum chunks on it also..
Compressor is probably shot huh?

I did realize upon more searching, the compressor clutch is working as in it will quick cycle on and off when Freon is in the getting too low range, and it'll stay off once too low... But, when it's working and blowing cold.. before it blows the seal in the high port, the clutch stays on.. it never turns off with the AC turned on. Could it also be a bad High Pressure Switch? Maybe the switch is the original culprit that caused everything?
You keep saying there's metal on things, not in it, are you talking about metal inside of the pressurized system, or little flakes on the outside of the condenser? FYI when the system is not on, like checking pressures with the car off, they should be at whatever temperature it is out.