AC / Air Conditioning Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GPZZR

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Silverado Z71 w/5.7l and want to remove the AC components entirely. It currently doesn't work and the cost to repair isn't worth it, as I don't use it. Anyone done this before and how was it done. Any help and suggestions are welcome. Thanks

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is a '93.
I bought a AC bypass pulley.
You will have to check to make sure its the right one but here is one from Rock Auto...
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=971173&cc=1303366&jsn=563

Everything just unbolts. I had to remove the grill to remove the condenser. When I removed the accumulator and hoses I taped over the ports to the evaporator. Personally I would leave the parts intact except for the compressor. I removed my old parts and by-passed the compressor til I figure out which AC system to put back. When you say everything I assume you would leave the evaporator since it is difficult to get to under the dash.

Is this your truck...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GPZZR

Reaction score
Mine is a '93.
I bought a AC bypass pulley.
You will have to check to make sure its the right one but here is one from Rock Auto...
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=971173&cc=1303366&jsn=563

Everything just unbolts. I had to remove the grill to remove the condenser. When I removed the accumulator and hoses I taped over the ports to the evaporator. Personally I would leave the parts intact except for the compressor. I removed my old parts and by-passed the compressor til I figure out which AC system to put back. When you say everything I assume you would leave the evaporator since it is difficult to get to under the dash.

Is this your truck...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Pretty close to the look of my truck. Thanks for all the great info 7echo. I'll take it all out, as I don't have a time limit to do it. Thanks again for your help.