ABS light will blink when I retrieve codes but engine light will not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4player

Wookie Wagon
Reaction score
So I have a 94 2 door Blazer (K5 no S10) with 5.7L 188,000 miles. I have been having engine troubles and I tried to see if any codes are stored in the computer. So I went to retrieve them and all I can get to blink is the ABS light which is on all the time cause the ABS is busted. I cannot get the Engine Light to blink to show me the codes. Is there a trick to this?

Enginebuilder

Reaction score
Are you sure you are shorting A to B in the ALDL connector?

Does the check engine light illuminate when you turn the key to the "on" position, but do not start the truck?

If the light doesn't come on, verify that the bulb in your cluster is good.

If the bulb is good, the light doesn't come on when you turn the key to the 'on' position, and doesn't flash codes, I'd seriously look into the PCM as the likely culprit.

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
short these 2...i believe is you short the top right and bottom right is ABS code retrieval

You must be registered for see images attach

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
As mentioned, A+B enters diagnostic mode.

IIRC, A+H gives the ABS fault codes which flash out on.........wait for it........The ABS light.

:)

4player

Wookie Wagon
Reaction score
I think I was doing it right. I did the two closest to one another according to the book like you guys showed and described above. I have done this code check many times. Maybe my computer is messed up.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Something would have to be really messed up then as the ABS codes come from the ABS module and the OBD codes come from the ECM.

Basically; never the twain shall meet....

:)