A/C doesn't work on idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NiWhat

Reaction score
The A/C on my 1998 doesn't work on a idle, we tried bypassing both the high pressure and low pressure, but it still won't kick on when idling, it works fine when i'm driving it and on the road, any ideas?

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your Batt voltage at Idle could be dropping below acceptable level and cuts out the compressor Or get an E-fan and clean the coil of any debri that may be stuck in there. Need to pull the heat out of the coil for effective cooling + have enough of a charge in the system. Good luck.

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
Does it kick on if you give it some gas while its parked?

If the clutch is not engaging then its not an airflow issue and if its a voltage issue adding E-fans wont help.

My girlfirends trailblazer is doing the same thing at idle (like 900rpm) it disengages but if I idle it up to about 1500 rpm it kicks on and will freeze you out. Hers does it while driving or sitting still.

NiWhat

Reaction score
No it doesn't kick on in park, we brought the rpm up to 2000 and it still wouldn't, however i got someone to watch it while testing a few things, and it starts for about 2 seconds and then stops, and now i have zero idea why it is doing this.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A common leak is right at the schrader cap. When you remove the low pressure side cap take and tighten the schader valve before you charge the system. I did have this problem and my compressor cut out on low charge/pressure. Good luck.