A/C Compressor worthless now because of electrical design??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boyd McDuffy

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I have searched the site over and can't find anything on this particular A/C problem.

My serpentine belt slipped off last week because of a belt tensioner going south. That's an easy fix and it's done. But, when the drive belt came off it whipped the electrical connector on the front of my a/c compressor and took out the two male tabs where it plugs in.

Here's my question, has anyone ever found a way to fix that without buying a whole new compressor?
It's obviously a blatant design flaw to have it sitting there just a half inch above the belt. I have ground down the housing part of it (plastic?) right behind the A/C drive pulley but can't see any wire or even metal where I can design/install a new plug.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ya' all.

1990 C1500 2WD
5.0 litre
Automatic
(Original Owner) I still love this truck.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The magnetic coil can be replaced. Requires a few special pullers and cost is about half (roughly) of a whole new compressor.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The magnetic coil can be replaced. Requires a few special pullers and cost is about half (roughly) of a whole new compressor.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The major upside being you don't have to evacuate and recharge the system, especially a benefit if it's still R12.

I don't know if I would assign any special conspiracy theories to the design, though. They didn't put the connector there hoping your belt would let go and take it out. When belts let go, stuff gets damaged (usually.) They gotta put the connector somewhere.

Richard