98 vortec sparkplug gap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98gm1500

Reaction score
had thought about going with a set of E3's but had a chance to get a set of ngk tr55's for so cheap couldnt say no

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vortec spec is .060 as has been said, some situations dictate a change from that, for example with forced induction are better with a closer gap, I ran .045 when I had my whipple on. and variances in the ignition system can dictate gap changes as well...

but yeah, .060 is spec for '96-'00 L30/L31 vortecs.

as far as the E3's and 4+, or whatever...if they work for you and the extra cost is worth it in your eyes, than by all means, go for it, i'm not wanting to start a war over plug preferences... but IMO they fall in the 'gimmick' category and I typically never recommend them...IMO the inability to gap them is a loss of control, as has been stated in this thread, plug gap is something that is dependent on the engine setup, so being incapable of changing that is a really bad thing in my eyes, especially since we're talking about a significant change in gap size (TBI - 0.35/0.45, vortec - 0.060, etc), not to mention other factors like having all that extra stuff shielding the air fuel mixture from the spark to some degree or another (also bad), and the significantly higher cost....I'm not a fan of them. but again, that is just my opinion on them, if they work for you and you like them and they're worth the added cost in your eyes, then go for it.

Last edited:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also they have 2 or more ground tabs . The spark only needs one ! It will take the path of least resistance , and it will never use all te grounds . Also like stated above gap is extreamly important !

I agree, though their marketing for the multiple grounds is from a longevity standpoint, claiming that with multiple grounding paths, as the grounds erode over time, the spark will have multiple paths it can take...but they don't take into account anything other than ground erosion, not fouling, manufacturing defects, heat or ping damage, or anything else....then even if you have none of those issues over their whole life, you have to ask if the estimated ~1.5-2x longevity is worth the 3-5x price increase....personally I'd rather spend less, swap the plugs a little more frequently, and have the plugs being in a 'newer' state more continually.