98 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Markgyver

Reaction score
I inherited my father's truck after he passed away.
Right now it runs good but every seal on the lower end leaks. Timing cover, oil pan, rear main, oil cooler lines, ectopic. It has about 130000 miles. I'm planning on pulling the engine this summer to reseal but I'm wondering if I should do anything else while it's out? I plan on doing an LS swap in the future so I don't want to dump alot of cash into right now.

mikwallace

Reaction score
I replaced all those seals you've mentioned about a year ago. Didn't have to pull the engine to do it. Mine is a 99 k1500, 5.7 L.. While I was working on it I put a 2-3 inch lift kit and that made getting to the oil pan easy. Now there's no leaks and dry as a bone! Good kuck!

Markgyver

Reaction score
I replaced all those seals you've mentioned about a year ago. Didn't have to pull the engine to do it. Mine is a 99 k1500, 5.7 L.. While I was working on it I put a 2-3 inch lift kit and that made getting to the oil pan easy. Now there's no leaks and dry as a bone! Good kuck!

Can you replace the oil pan seal with the stock suspension?

mikwallace

Reaction score
Hmm? Maybe someone else with 2wd will chime in on that. I'm not sure. Just know on my 4wd with lift kit, I could drop the pan easily. Have you looked at you tube? Should be a video on there.

Follow up: I didn't see in your first post. Is your truck 2 or 4 wheel drive. If it's 4wd with stock suspension, I don't believe it'll come off without either jacking up the engine or drop the axle. The first time I changed the oil pan gasket my complete front axle was removed because I was putting a suspension lift under it, so there was lots of room to drop the oil pan. The second and third time I dropped the pan I had already installed the lift kit and the pan will come out easy.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Markgyver

Reaction score
Hmm? Maybe someone else with 2wd will chime in on that. I'm not sure. Just know on my 4wd with lift kit, I could drop the pan easily. Have you looked at you tube? Should be a video on there.

Follow up: I didn't see in your first post. Is your truck 2 or 4 wheel drive. If it's 4wd with stock suspension, I don't believe it'll come off without either jacking up the engine or drop the axle. The first time I changed the oil pan gasket my complete front axle was removed because I was putting a suspension lift under it, so there was lots of room to drop the oil pan. The second and third time I dropped the pan I had already installed the lift kit and the pan will come out easy.

Hope this helps.

It's a K1500 4x4
I replaced the one on my 92 blazer but it was lifted and I was able to replace the gasket just not sure on stock suspension.