98 k1500 VCM swap advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

runaround

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m new here and don’t really know how to post or where to post it but I’m giving it a try.

I need to swap my 98 Chevy k1500’s VCM with a working one. Where can I buy one that is pre programmed, and is it a very difficult process? Anything I should know or look out for when making that swap? Thanks.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever try and Google it? Very simple, unplug old and plug in new. Just have to make sure it’s correct program for your truck. Any modifications have to to accounted for.
Couldn’t you just have yours reflashed? BlackBear did mine.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would not trust Black Bear to tune a golf cart, much less anything I actually cared or depended on.

That being said it needs a security relearn as well once a reprogrammed new or reman VCM is swapped in.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
B.B. worked out for me. L31 I’ve never heard anyone say anything bad about them. What happened?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
B.B. worked out for me. L31 I’ve never heard anyone say anything bad about them. What happened?
I have fixed multiple tunes that were in friends vehicles tuned by him. One lost multiple 4L60Es because of his tuning, continuous detonation and long term fuel trims practically ******* the limits all the time.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have fixed multiple tunes that were in friends vehicles tuned by him. One lost multiple 4L60Es because of his tuning, continuous detonation and long term fuel trims practically ******* the limits all the time.
Really to say peg ging is blocked, jeez.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Of these vehicles, how many were dramatically modified? Cam swaps etc? My suspicion is that BBP does a pretty good job with anything close to stock, but can drop the ball when things need more customization. The mail order aspect of their tunes doesn't help this.

I've been very happy with the tuning they've done on my red truck, but it's basically a stock 4.3L with a 4L80E swap.

I agree that whatever they're doing with torque management reduction on automatics (at least 4L60Es) is bad news, though. Pretty sure that's the reason I killed two 60Es in that truck. To be fair it was really my own fault mostly, the disclaimer on their website said that TM reduction on a stock transmission was a bad idea and I told them to do it anyway.

TN454K3500

Reaction score
I've been very happy with the tuning they've done on my red truck, but it's basically a stock 4.3L with a 4L80E swap.

I agree that whatever they're doing with torque management reduction on automatics (at least 4L60Es) is bad news, though. Pretty sure that's the reason I killed two 60Es in that truck. To be fair it was really my own fault mostly, the disclaimer on their website said that TM reduction on a stock transmission was a bad idea and I told them to do it anyway.
What Shift Firmness did you go with?
I've been reading about the TM Reduction - (watched this video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
)
What TM Reduction was tearing it up? 50%, 75%, or 100%? I am pretty sure my truck has a 4L80E (K3500 7.4L)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What Shift Firmness did you go with?
I've been reading about the TM Reduction - (watched this video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
)
What TM Reduction was tearing it up? 50%, 75%, or 100%? I am pretty sure my truck has a 4L80E (K3500 7.4L)

Initially 100% TM removal, second harshest shift firmness option. Stock 4L60E lived about 500 miles after that. Had the 4L60E rebuilt with a bunch of upgrades (including TransGo HD2 shift kit and billet servos) but left the tuning the same. That resulted in crazy hard shifts (like break the tires loose WOT shifting into 2nd hard) so I had them but everything back to stock after a few thousand miles. That helped a bunch but that trans died shortly thereafter, I think the damage was done at that point.