98 K1500 L31-R LONG BLOCK QUESTION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just purchased a 98 K1500 with 162k about a month ago. I knew it needed some work when I bought it but I didn't realize how badly mistreated this truck had been. So when I got it home I went through the truck to see what I needed to fix. After fixing the 4x4 and rear brakes I thought I was home free......not so much. The engine light was on and after reading the codes there were 14, among them was the dreaded PO1345. I found the dizzy to be loose and not knowing the history of the truck I decided to buy a new distributor. I did a major tune up on it, replaced the dizzy and started on the steering and front brake lines. Instead of purchasing extended stainless lines when the previous owner installed the 6 inch lift they extended the metal lines to the factory length rubber line by cutting it and using the feral unions, stupid.

Last week I ordered all new steering components for the truck including the steering gear, coupler, pitman, idler and bracket, rods and sleeves. While I was working on that I decided to check the coolant level for some reason and it was low. Now I had just changed the oil so it was fresh and too my surprise when I looked at the dipstick................you guessed it, MILKY BROWN.

Obviously I am an idiot for buying this truck in the first place but now that I am commited I need to make a decision. The reason for all the info above is this.....If the truck shows this many signs of neglect, how long did it get driven with coolant in the crankcase? I could pull the engine and have it rebuilt but GM sells a NEW long block for $2000 shipped from jegs. I think this makes the most sense.

Finally my question. This L31-R that I found has 4 bolt mains which I want but it states that it is only for 3/4 and 1 ton applications. The same engine for my k1500 is 2 bolt mains. Obviously I want the 4 bolt main engine as it only like $50 difference. Is there any reason that this wouldn't work well in a 1/2 ton?
Is it just that the 2 bolt main engine is what came in the 1/2 ton and that is why they are stating this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the life story!

Here is a link to the engine I am looking at
http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Per...Truck-350ci-L31-R-Long-Block/1532025/10002/-1

Reaction score
It will bolt in. You don't need it, but it will bolt in.

I understand that it will bolt in. I was wondering more about the application. Is the statement of 3/4 or 1 ton only merely because those trucks came with the 4 bolt main?

Now you say I don't need it, care to elaborate?

Thank you

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Are you putting any wicked power adders on this engine? Plan on twisting it up to 7500+ rpm? Plan on hauling or towing any severely heavy loads? If not, 2 bolt mains are adequate.

Reaction score
Are you putting any wicked power adders on this engine? Plan on twisting it up to 7500+ rpm? Plan on hauling or towing any severely heavy loads? If not, 2 bolt mains are adequate.

I am often pulling cars to and fro with my trailer. Other than that no severe use, for less than $100 more I figure it is not a bad idea. I have a 385 Fast Burn in my 86 K10 and I love it but that was a heck of a lot more jack. Don't want to spend that much on this but I like the idea of a new engine instead of a reman. Who knows what the future brings either may do some upgrading and a 4 bolt is a good platform to start with.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I haven't been able to confirm, but I suspect based on what I have read previously that the cylinder head castings have Inconel valve seats instead of the standard induction hardened seats that the 1500 gets.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Vortec_L31_cylinder_head

Scroll down to 'Exhaust Valve Seats'

If the heads do in fact have Inconel seats, I would get this engine for the extra $50.

Edit: if I have time I will search out cylinder head service part numbers for that engine to see if there is in fact Inconel seats.

Reaction score
I haven't been able to confirm, but I suspect based on what I have read previously that the cylinder head castings have Inconel valve seats instead of the standard induction hardened seats that the 1500 gets.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Vortec_L31_cylinder_head

Scroll down to 'Exhaust Valve Seats'

If the heads do in fact have Inconel seats, I would get this engine for the extra $50.

Edit: if I have time I will search out cylinder head service part numbers for that engine to see if there is in fact Inconel seats.

Interesting info that I did not know, thank you.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not an engine expert, but this seems like a no-brainer to me. For only $50, you get the four-bolt main block, plus possibly better valve seats. To me, this equals peace of mind, plus a future upgrade path for more power, or for extreme duty use.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Fair enough. It will absolutely work, and must be listed the way it is strictly based on OEM specs.

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking as well just thought that I would ask the question before I pull the trigger. Thank you for the replies.