98 k1500 4x4 6" RCX lift need tire/rim recomendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chitown Tom

Reaction score
Long time lurker first time posted!

I apologize in advance for the long winded post I have a bunch of questions!

I just picked up a new to me 1998 k1500 4x4 truck and I am in the process of a total overhaul (pics to follow)

Since the truck is getting a 6" RCX lift and everthting will be taken apart I am going to tackle all of the leaks from the various places LOL!

My question for the guru's is rim and tire combo's as I am ordering parts for the rebuild.

I am set on a 35" 12.5 tire my question is rim size. I was looking around and I was thinking of going with a 16" or 17" rim. Does anyone prefer one over the other? Or any other sizes? And what about offset, I would love some tire to peak out but no rub.

Also when it comes to tires, I am looking for a decent dd tire with some backroad/offroad on the weekends. We get snow here so I definatly need a tire to handle that.

Lastly goes anyone have a lead to a website with the best pricing for the tires/rims or both?

Thanks!
Tom

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Treaddepot.com has really god pricing and a good varaity. I run a set of 315/75r16 Toyo Open Country MT's on some 16x8 with 0 offset and 4" backspacing with my 6" rcx. They don't rub unless Im offroad, hitting a big bump and turning. The Toyo's are great all around tire, and suppose to be one of the longest lasting mud tires, I do not know that for a fact though, I don't have many miles on mine. I also have no idea about if they are good in the snow, we don't get much of that down here.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had 16x8's for a while now but I'll be going 17x9 when I do my 35's. I think the 17's look good.

Sent from my throttle body injected galaxy note3

Chitown Tom

Reaction score
I checked treaddepot and the 16's are out of stock. I have been looking around and it seems liek the 16's are just tough to find in genral. Are they less common than the 17's?

WorkinMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't shopped around for them, but I'm already looking at Nitto's new tire they came out with. It's pretty decent mix between AT and MT by the look of it. Its called the Nitto EXO Grappler. Some of the factory pictures make it look like an AT more, but when you look at actual pictures posted by people that have them they look a little more aggresive. Just my two cents.

Currently I have the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 and they handle really well on and off road. A little noise, but nothing like an all and all out MT would be. I like them, and they also do well in the rain. I got these in a 285/70/17 (smaller than you're looking for) from treaddepot.com with free shipping and an $80 rebate. I think the total was right around $900 which I thought was pretty good for a 10ply 285 aggresive AT.

Chitown Tom

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the responses!

Came home today and the 6" lift from RCX arrived!!! Parts are starting to roll in I can wait for the finished truck!!!

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if your a fan of bfgoodrich but I've had all-terrain T/A K0's in a 285/75r16 for a while now and they have been a good strong tire and have done well on snow and ice aswell. I hear the new KO2's are suppose to be very good and with the siping should be ever better in the winter
You must be registered for see images
just throwing out ideas for ya.

Chitown Tom

Reaction score
Not sure if your a fan of bfgoodrich but I've had all-terrain T/A K0's in a 285/75r16 for a while now and they have been a good strong tire and have done well on snow and ice aswell. I hear the new KO2's are suppose to be very good and with the siping should be ever better in the winter
You must be registered for see images
just throwing out ideas for ya.

I actually went with the KO2's found them for a decent price online (dont remember the site but I can look thru my emails) in 315/75/16's

Also picked these rims up
You must be registered for see images attach

Now the waitng game for the parts to come!

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice! My rcx lift and torsion bar relocators are sitting in the spare bedroom waiting for me to get motivated lol. What other goodies do you have in store for your truck?

Chitown Tom

Reaction score
Nice! My rcx lift and torsion bar relocators are sitting in the spare bedroom waiting for me to get motivated lol. What other goodies do you have in store for your truck?

I really would love a re-gear but that would be a big hit on the pocket book so I am still shopping around for that.

I have been looking online for some HID headlights and reading up about them. I think i will end up pulling the trigger but I am going to wait for spring time. Way too cold to be working outside LOL

Also looking into a remote start, I have had one before and ging outside in 0* weather is just no fun!

The list is endless this is just what comes top of mind!