'98 Hard to Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AFBud1998

Reaction score
First time posting since finding this forum here several months back. Already used the info I found here to fix my leaking firewall so maybe
ya'll can help me with this problem.

Bought the truck back in October; 1998 Silverado Ext cab 4x4, 88,000 miles, 350/Auto. Put the key in and the truck just turns over for 10-15 seconds before
it will finally crank, if it does. If I turn the key on for 8-10 seconds before trying to start it, it will fire right up. Truck runs great after starting. Battery,
alternator, and starter all check out. Been like this since buying it. I figure it is the fuel pump getting weak or maybe a check valve somewhere
in the line letting fuel run back from the injectors. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

AFBud1998

Reaction score
Changed the filter but didn't help anything. Gonna buy a new AC-Delco pump and put it in myself. Anyone know if lifting the bed or dropping the tank is easier for a guy in his garage with common tools and some air tools? What is the best route? Could this be the throttle position sensor going bad?

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drop the tank. New straps are cheap if you trash them. Can you do a fuel pressure test? It'll tell you a lot.

AFBud1998

Reaction score
I think I can pick up a pressure gauge kit at Harbor freight. I'll try that before getting a pump.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
More than likely its the fuel pump. I would say if you have the help then pulling the bed is easier, I've even taken the drivers side bed bolts out and loosened the passenger side bolts and tilted the bed and blocked it up with some 4x4's. It's a little tight in there but it can be done.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Test the pressure first, but also don't overlook the fuel pump relay. The long crank time could be indicative of a failed fuel pump relay, and the oil pump switch is kicking in the pump after you've cranked it long enough to build a little oil pressure. It's a redundant circuit meant exactly for that purpose, so a bad relay doesn't leave you dead in the water.

Richard

AFBud1998

Reaction score
Fuel pressure gauge showed I was losing pressure right after the pump shut off before cranking. Everything I read said the problem was either the fuel pressure regulator or the spider. Changed the regulator and couldn't find a leak on the spider. Still hard to start. Bought an AC Delco fuel pump and just got to find the time to put it in. Thinking its the check valve on the pump. Will update when I do.