98 chevy 1500 engine issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
well she runs fine. but i got to replace the darn intake gasket again idk i stoped to get gas and saw anti freeze coming out the back of the block thought it was a head but it looks like back of intake to me. well im not going to drive it till i change that. can i use the port injection gaskets that go on the sides more than once? mabey i could just pull intake off and reapply black rvt.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would never go through all the trouble of pulling that apart to re-use gaskets or try to patch it with silicone. Gonna be a huge headache to save a couple bucks.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
ok well i used my brain and got a new intake gasket set im gonna pull the intake off again. and put a fat bead is it ok if it runs over the edges?

How far should i cut the plastic peice the screws on to the tube of rvt?

im gonna just do the lower intake and put the new port plate thing (black and red felpro) on and a put some old pen in the for intake bolt holes and slap her down.

what order should i tighten the bolts down in? and i dont have a torque wrench so im doing it by thought.

Edit: the autozone gut told me to black rvt the shaft and threads of the intake bolts to not let antifreeze come out through them.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
.......and put a fat bead is it ok if it runs over the edges?

I've never done it, but I've read that you need to be careful with the amount you use because you don't want to get it inside the engine.

what order should i tighten the bolts down in? and i dont have a torque wrench so im doing it by thought.

Get a torque wrench........ not sure if a parts store would loan you one or not.

Lower intake:
The first pass is only 27 inch pounds. the second pass is 106 inch pounds, and the 3rd is 11 foot pounds.

The pattern is 7,1,3,5 on the passenger side
8,4,2,6 on the driver's side

Upper intake:
first pass is 44 inch pounds
Second pass is 89 inch pounds

I didn't see a pattern for the upper.

Edit: the autozone gut told me to black rvt the shaft and threads of the intake bolts to not let antifreeze come out through them.

NO....... use locktite blue (242, It think it is) Make sure the bolts and holes are clean.

Your also supposed to use locktite on the evap purge solenoid studs, the fuel pipe bolt, and throttle body studs.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
man that sucks i was thinking lock tight. but the guy said put some rvt on it like he did. and autozone is not to close lol.

does anyone have any good pictures of the bead i dont wana do this again.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
man that sucks i was thinking lock tight. but the guy said put some rvt on it like he did. and autozone is not to close lol.

does anyone have any good pictures of the bead i dont wana do this again.

I'll be installing my LT1 intake today, and I'll get you a picture. the tube tip - cut it for a 1/8 inch bead, maybe a little bigger

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
thanks much. now the real challange is running the bead while in the truck on the back.

can rvt be aloud in the bolt holes when applying?

idk if any of you do this but when i drop the intake on i take 4 bic pens and slide them in the bolt hole to get a real nice line up

now my next issue is i put blue shop towles in the intake area to soak it up. now where the rods come throw how do i clean the anti freeze out? or just let it go and let the oil change fixer up.

would any of you mind taking a picture of the hose's or in my case hose that connects anti freeze contanior to radiator