98 4.3 vortec 2wd and 97 5.7 vortec 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jolm

Reaction score
Alright so I bought a 97 4x4 5.7 vortec today with 160k on it. I was looking at buying just an engine for a swap into my 98 4.3 vortec 2wd but decided that I would go the route of just swapping this 5.7 into my 98 and the 4.3 back into this 97 so I could have another 4x4 since I sold my Jeep and will need another year round daily driver. So I’m assuming from my research that I should be able to swap the engines right away into the 4x4 and I’m going to do a manual swap on the 98 so I’m not as concerned with getting that running right away. Just wondering if anyone can help confirm the plug and play status of what I’m looking at doing? Will the torque converter and everything bolt onto the 4.3 from the 5.7 and bolt directly up the 4x4 trans without issue? I’ll work through it and research more as I go just trying to find some info and opinions from people who have done something similar or are more knowledgeable than I am on these trucks. Any input is greatly appreciated always!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Jolm

Reaction score
I checked out how torque converters work since I come from an all manual background. I am going to have to use the converter for the v6 so it’s not a turd but everything else looks to be straight forward with the swap as far as I can tell.