'98 305 vortec died, getting fuel to motor but no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
What happened with yours? I always thought they had a good reputation, 2 friends of mine have been running them trouble free.

I heard that they were bought out a few years ago and that it went downhill from there. Personally I would not buy one.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What happened with yours? I always thought they had a good reputation, 2 friends of mine have been running them trouble free.

They used to, but like mistaake said they were bought out by Johnson Controls and are now made in Mexico instead of the USA. Quality has gone downhill big time. I had a brand new yellow top that I always maintained properly die in less than six months. I run Odysseys in everything I own now.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Johnson Controls makes them, along with a bunch of other brands. Interstate is one of them if I recall, and if the rumor is true they make Autocraft/Carquest batteries. Read the labels on batteries, if they are marked you'll see everything from USA to Saidi Arabia. There's another brand Johnson Controls sell, I want to say it starts with a N. I don't like dry cells because you can't jump start them. If you do you run the risk of overheating them.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't like dry cells because you can't jump start them. If you do you run the risk of overheating them.

What do you mean dry cell? Optimas (and most other "high end" automotive batteries) are AGM technology. They're wet, they're just sealed and maintenance free. And you can jump them just fine. It's recommended that you charge them fully once you get home, though. The alternator doesn't do a very good job of topping them off.