'98 305 vortec died, getting fuel to motor but no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Went to pull out on the road and my truck died. I went to restart but it would just turn over. I listened for the fuel pump and heard nothing. I replaced the fuel pump/sending unit, (sending unit was already bad). I also replaced the fuel filter. Getting fuel to the intake manifold and truck will run briefly off starting fluid.

That's about as far as I got. At a loss of what to try next. Could it be the fuel spider? Not real familiar with the vortec engines.

Thanks

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your fuel pressure?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure of fuel pressure, what should it be? No check engine light, I should probably hook up the code reader to check for codes.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Key on, engine off, it should be 60psi or better. Engine running, at least 55psi. Deadhead the pump and it should hit 80 to 100 psi.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

aaron33

Reaction score
I just went through the exact thing you described. I ended up replacing the ignition wiring harness that comes out and down the steering column. $100 for the part and about 1-2 hours of your time. You will most likely need special anti-theft torx long shaft sockets, which I found at Advance Auto.
By the way, you will never get a CEL from this issue. No scanner will pick it up either.
This is a common GM problem as the switch wears out from you turning the key thousands of times. The security system shuts off fuel, but not crank or spark. Good luck.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Turns out it was just the ground wire from frame to fuel pump. Put in new ground and works great now. Also added an optima red top battery. Turns over quick now.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hope you have better luck with Optima than I have in the past few years...