97' Yukon fuel gauge problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevo1975

Reaction score
Here I am again guys, and here's the situation. The fuel gauge needle swings wildly under acceleration, braking, taking corners, etc. If I'm not mistaken, 1997 was the ONLY year that the trucks had a "fuel damper module kit" added inside the gauge cluster. Apparently GM was too cheap to put baffles in their gas tanks to provide a simple, mechanical answer to this problem, so they added this module to slow down the processor signal created by the fuel sender float. The part number is 12167652 and cost near $200. It gets better. In 1998, GM engineers simply "flashed" this damper module right into the PCM. I need some techy guys to chime in to see if I can have this flashed into my PCM, or if anyone makes an aftermarket tank with actual baffles in them. I can't bring myself to pony up that kind of cash, especially since my stock one is broken right now.

Blaine Cornelius

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not just a bad ground wire at the sending unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevo1975

Reaction score
Yes. When the truck sits still the needle reads fine. It's only when I accelerate and brake that it swings back and forth. Once I'm at speed, the needle settles again and doesn't move.