97 Vortec poor idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J-Dubya

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

Bought a new to me piece of **** 97 tahoe bone stock about 3 months ago to tinker with and maybe do some occasional mudding. It has been sitting for a long time, about 5 years, and needs plenty of TLC.. everywhere..

The truck idled rough from the get go and I have been trying to remedy it since. I started my tinkering with a full tune up; plugs, wires, distributor rotor and cap, fuel filter, air filter, and liberal use of carb/choke cleaner. No progress. It idles poorly all the time though the warmer the truck is the rougher the idle. The truck is also pretty difficult to start once warm (usually I goose the throttle to get it going).

Got a fuel pressure gauge and checked the pressure off and running; with the car off, turning the key to on results in immediate jump in pressure to about 60lbs. As soon as the pump audibly turns off, pressure dwindles down to zero relatively quickly. While idling, the gauge shows about 52 lbs.

What's next to test to determine what's wrong?

J-Dubya

Reaction score
My bad; my tahoe is a '97 two door, 350 vortec, auto transmission with 140K miles and appears stock.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Poor idle can be caused by a number of things. If you put fresh gas in it, start by testing the coolant temp sensor. If that provides the wrong info to the ECM, the ECM will dump the wrong amount of fuel into the engine.
Testing info: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=425788

If that checks out, check the Idle Air Control Valve. Let us know what you find.