97 tahoe 4l60E help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HOOPTY93

Reaction score
So I am completely new to transmissions.
Here is my problem.
I cracked my torque converter during a snow storm. Thought I had blown the transmission completely. Well once most of the snow melted I pulled a tranny from a junk yard. So fast forward a month. Realized it was my torque converter that was cracked. Replaced it with a used one I pulled from a junk yard. Got it in worked great for about 5 days. Drove a few hundred miles well was on the highway for about an hour and went to pass someone at about 85 and all of a sudden my RPMS hit 5k so I pulled off the highway and I had lost 3rd and 4th. Though ok check the fluid I was low got some added it but it poured right out of the dip stick gasket. So drove 20 miles with it in 2nd. Replaced the gasket for the dipstick and added fluid back to full. Still don't have 3rd or 4th.
I kind of have 4th gear but not really. It'll hit 25-30ish mph and rpms got to 4k and slowly goes faster and then feels like it shifts into 4th but still stuck at 3k rpms.

Any ideas? I'm so confused. I love my hoe and don't want to get rid of her.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Direct clutches are done. Time for a junkyard trans or a rebuild. Sorry man.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk