'97 Steering Gearbox Replacement Guidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Agreed ^^^
Another option is have Turn One rebuild your original. Or maybe your original is fine and only needs a “proper” adjustment.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I could not get past the 3 minute mark. "Um" must be this guys favorite utterance.:nutkick:

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Mendota or Dimmick
Yep familiar with both of those towns. Used to work in Mendota. I figured we were somewhat close geographically. You originally posted about the C2500 in Amboy that I bought.
I spent most of my time around Lake county, Fox Lake area, and the NW suburbs, Algonquin.
Ah yeah that’s further north than me. I’ve spent time up there when I used to work in the NW suburbs for a couple years. Had to leave, couldn’t stand it. I was a transplant to that area and thought I’d adjust somewhat but didn’t really.

crowfather

Reaction score
It was pouring this afternoon and evening following work. Coupled with the fact that I can't fit the truck in my garage, I didn't do any investigating. However, I decided I will be doing the following list of things:
1. Replace PS lines
a. Thinking about getting some of that leak dye to confirm no leaks after reinstallation
b. I will test for leaks beforehand according to the manual referenced by east302
2. Replace the rag joint / steering coupler
a. I will test to see if it is the source of the looseness/play on center before disassembly
3. Replace pitman and/or idler arm after inspecting when I get down there
a. If the pitman comes free easily with a puller it might be reusable. I checked the steering components when I purchased the truck in November and everything looked good.
4. I am going to follow the inspection steps in the manual linked by east302 for the steering gear
a. find leaks, if any occur from the gearbox I will attempt a rebuild kit. Kits seem relatively inexpensive online.
i. I would appreciate any recommendations for rebuild kits if anybody knows any.
ii. If rebuild doesn't work I will look further into a new box. I assume I will need to re-bleed the system each time I take the gearbox in and out of the truck.
b. if leaks are not from the gearbox I will attempt to just adjust it per the videos and the manual
i. Has anybody found a spanner/socket that will work for tightening the worm thrust bearing preload in place of the J42882?

Does this seem like a prudent course of action?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you know where it’s leaking?

You can usually find used Kent Moore tools on eBay, so that might be worth a check.

crowfather

Reaction score
Do you know where it’s leaking?

You can usually find used Kent Moore tools on eBay, so that might be worth a check.
I don't know where the leak is yet. There is a procedure in the manual that describes how to find the leak. I will try that.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could, but the biggest problem is that the inspection costs $80-$140 depending where you go and it isn't a true diagnosis, just a check box of pass/fail on certain components. To be clear, the truck steers quite well and while I notice the slop in the center of the steering, it is not detrimental to safety in my opinion. From what I have read MD is the worst state in the nation when it comes to these inspections. Frankly I think it is a racket. Anyway, I do most of my own work as it is, and I would rather confirm the true problem myself. I'll take it back to them for an alignment, but that is it.
Yeah, used to live there, but it's only once it has to be done. It a pretty intense going over, pad thickness , drums/linings, visual, Almost nothing gets through 1st time. PITA

crowfather

Reaction score
Yeah, used to live there, but it's only once it has to be done. It a pretty intense going over, pad thickness , drums/linings, visual, Almost nothing gets through 1st time. PITA
Don't I know it. I have an '04 civic that they failed because the plastic hood latch release handle was broken off. Apparently vice grips was not "a safe alternative"