97 shortwide vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meangreen97

Reaction score
i just bought my first vortec motor and it has a random miss i changed the plugs and the cap but it did not fix it. any ideas on what it is? and also i am not getting any fuel pressure at all.. but was told that it has a brand new fuel pump any ideas and what to look for maybe a fuse or use relay?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is running you have fuelpressure may be a faulty guage. What brand of cap and plugs?

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
if it has ANY miles as in over 100K proly an injector on the spider, also did you change the Rotor? A fuel filter with some Seafoam in the tank is a good start

MazingerZ

Reaction score
I will check it in this order

1) change the fuel filter
2) recheck fuel pressure - if less than 50psi, a new pump is in order - get a delco
3) upgrade to the new MPFI spider assy.

96z387

Reaction score
I will check it in this order

1) change the fuel filter
2) recheck fuel pressure - if less than 50psi, a new pump is in order - get a delco
3) upgrade to the new MPFI spider assy.

When you check the fuel pressure with the gauge make sure rev the motor and make sure psi goes up not down.

Thus just happened to me with a venom fuel pump. Checked pressure with gauge and everything was fine and pressure was good at idle so I thought it was good but it wasn't

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

DragginGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
when i dropped in another 5.7 from a junkyard after hydrolocking my original 5.7 i did the full tune up and ran borg warner plug wires. And the 5.7 did not like them at all! it was sputtering nasty. so i swapped the wires out for some AC delco ones and that did the trick..

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
when i dropped in another 5.7 from a junkyard after hydrolocking my original 5.7 i did the full tune up and ran borg warner plug wires. And the 5.7 did not like them at all! it was sputtering nasty. so i swapped the wires out for some AC delco ones and that did the trick..

Big word, these truck's do not like a lot of these aftermarket part's!

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Big word, these truck's do not like a lot of these aftermarket part's!

No, they don't like ****** parts that don't match the OEM specifications.

BUT, I've run those same plug wires with no issues, so I'd be inclined to think his set may have had a factory defect or something else going on with the truck. Hell, if it was "sputtering that nasty" he may have had 2 plug wires crossed that he got right the 2nd time.