97 K1500 NEED HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vincent

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 97 K1500 with the 5.7 vortec. 2 weeks ago i went to go off roading and while on the trails not even 30 minutes it started to sputter and die. I got it towed back to my buddy's house. if I can get it started it will idle, sometimes for 5 minutes then die or sometimes for an hour then it will die. while its idling i can rev the motor fine and it sounds great, but as soon as its in drive or reverse it will run insanely rough, sometimes jumping from 0 to 1000 rpms. other times i can mange to get it in gear and it stay running but as soon as you give it gas it just wants to die, it almost feels like its running on 3 cylinders at times. The only check engine light that it gets is random multiple misfires. And its melted 2 different ignition coils.-- What was done to it previously when i bought it was i replaced the distributer, ignition coil, plugs, wires, crank sensor, water pump, all 4 o2 sensors have been replaced, rebuilt transfer case.-- What I've done so far is checked the spider (it has the updated spider on it) it doesn't leak and all the injectors spray good. swapped my buddy's accel coil and module into it, no change. checked for loose wires, found none. I suspect it might be a faulty wire harness or ECM. but i would like input from people with more experience. Thank you.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
This isn't something that can be diagnosed over the internet very easily, we can all throw out tons of different things that it could be but sounds more like something you need to have someone local come and take a look, or tow it somewhere.
I'll start.
-bad gas
-bad ground
-loose wire
-bad ecm
etc etc etc