97 C2500 5.7 cuts out/loses power driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mutanay

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I came across this issue about two months ago where if i step on the gas pedal more than half way and kind of give the chevy power, it will immediately cut power and start slowing down and the engine sounds funky like its burbling if i keep on pushing farther. This especially happens while not only giving it more power than normal, but going uphill or inclines. The first issue was clogged catalytic converters, but i got those removed and the problem went away. Yesterday it happened after I drove two hours to barstow and once i got there the same problem occurred. I found out by one of my mechanics it could be a bad fuel filter. Today i changed my spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter, and the truck was driving better than new. For about 10 minutes... It had more power than when i bought it, it felt smooth, it had acceleration and it sounded smooth. I attempted to give it power like anyone who changed out their spark plugs would, and boom. There goes my burbling engine and cutting out power and speed declining. It will only drive if i apply the pedal 1/4 or 1/2 half way. Any help? Anyone ever had this issue or come across somebody who has had it? Any suggestions?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Engine light on? If so have you read the codes? What are They?

What's your fuel pressure at?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mutanay

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engine light on? If so have you read the codes? What are They?

What's your fuel pressure at?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Fuel pressure is at 60. Engine light has been on since i got my cats removed. Im seeing another mechanic tomorrow who will hopefully diagnose it. Im just wondering if this has happened to other people in their gmt400s. It should not be driving like this, especially after getting a tune up

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm almost having same issue but it's only occurring around 1000rpm, so going down the road it's fine but at low speeds through parking lot or in park and revving up to about 1000 I'll let off and it'll drop rpms and almost die out for a sec or two then right back to normal. I also just did cap, rotor, Plugs, wires, air filter, oil and was getting fuel filter this week to see if that helps. No cel though. Mines a 94 also so not sure if we could have same issue or if its my throttle body.

mutanay

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm almost having same issue but it's only occurring around 1000rpm, so going down the road it's fine but at low speeds through parking lot or in park and revving up to about 1000 I'll let off and it'll drop rpms and almost die out for a sec or two then right back to normal. I also just did cap, rotor, Plugs, wires, air filter, oil and was getting fuel filter this week to see if that helps. No cel though. Mines a 94 also so not sure if we could have same issue or if its my throttle body.
I am hoping it isn't the fuel pump, injectors or a clogged fuel line. That may be the issue. I would not know until i get it professionally check out. But it does sound like your problem is in the same ballpark as mine.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not exactly sure what burbling is? lol But I had one that would start spitting and sputtering over 3.5k rpm. It was a coil that couldn't keep up.

mutanay

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not exactly sure what burbling is? lol But I had one that would start spitting and sputtering over 3.5k rpm. It was a coil that couldn't keep up.
My word choice always sucks when i describe something. That spitting and sputtering is exactly whats happening lol. So i should check if it is the same issue?

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if it would be fuel or ignition, but have no idea the last time the fuel pump or filter was replaced. Not sure abt if I can disconnect the fuel line after the filter and before the engine and use some air to see if anything is in the line. Anyone done this?