97 C1500 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

best97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey yall, I came here today because I want to get a little more power out of my 5.7. I want to maybe put a cam in it but other than that anything (that isn't super expensive please) that can get some more power out of it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Verify that you have all the horsies that GM put under the hood to begin with.

Verify fuel pressure.

Connect a scan tool, look for "codes" but more important, look at fuel trims, misfire counts, spark advance and knock counts.

Proper and complete tune-up. Cranking compression test. Verify distributor condition, (Vortecs are known to wear the distributor gear and distributor shaft bushings) inspect cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs--replace as needed. Verify distributor synch with crank sensor ("Cam retard".) Assure that the catalysts are not plugged or getting restricted. Probably fresh O2 sensors depending on age/mileage. Verify EGR operation.

Might as well start thinking about the electric-solenoid injector upgrade instead of the stock poppet-style; although depending on your power goals you may need bigger injectors than stock.

Expect to do computer tuning. I can't help with that at all.