97 5.7 cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
need more info on your truck.. motor size, year, what other upgrades have you done...

doing a cam sswap is fine but there is other stuff that needs to be done.. first off you have to have the heads cut so the retainer dont hit the valve guide THIS IS A MUST!!! you need a cam kit that comes with new springs retainers, springs, timing chain, push rods, and cam... throwing a cam in a motor just for sound isnt going to work.. you can change to springs on the motor, ive done it more then once.. this lets the cam work good with out floating the valves cuz of the low spring pressure.. the thumper cam is good and will give you the sound your looking for but you will have to have the ECU tuned by someone... it will not run if you dont, so this is something you need to add in the cost of the cam swap! you will also need to change you converter to... not right away but it will need to be changed sooner or later...

(cam)
http://www.compperformancegroupstor...&Product_Code=08-600-8&Category_Code=THMSBC10

(springs)
http://www.compperformancegroupstor...ore_Code=CC&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=26918-16

(retainers)
http://www.compperformancegroupstor...Product_Code=774-16&Category_Code=GEN3Springs

all this is based on that you have a vortec motor in your truck

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Why is a lumpy cam a pain?? I'm with redline97sbc... I want a cam you can hear loping in my daily driver but I don't know what to buy. I get decent mileage now and my truck has no top end power at all because of my gears, tire size, etc. A cam that would keep my mileage good with any horespower gain at all is what i want. Low end or top end is good and lopy idle is great.
Suggestions?
you want lope, but you want good mileage.

not gonna happen, at all, its one way or the other, mild cam with good driveablity and mileage or a mean cam with bad driveablity and ****** mileage.

and the more rowdy the cam, the higher the power band moves up, usually.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

not gonna happen, at all, its one way or the other, mild cam with good driveablity and mileage or a mean cam with bad driveablity and ****** mileage.

+1, although the terms "good" and "******" are relative and can mean different things to different people, you will definitely be getting less mileage and worse driveability with a large lopey cam than you would with a more mild cam. not to mention difficulty in tuning, and you will most definitely need a tune with a cam swap.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score

x2, and for me a mean cam mean's that the steering wheel and dash vibrate, and you have to double foot it at idle to keep it running.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
A High Energy 268 has a good sound, but you'll definitely need a tune with it. Go to Youtube and search 268 cam....try and find one with cam specs in description, you're looking for around [email protected]" lift. It'll give you the sound you're probably looking for. I'm almost positive when you say lumpy, you mean a throaty sound....if not, then you're maybe wanting it to sound like it's about to die? The latter will have little to no driveability. Now it still depends fully on your engine specs, and your future plans, but an advertised 268 exhaust sounds really nice and still gives you okay low end on fuel injection, but I'd still get a small stall with it. If you go to comp cams, lunati, erson, or any of those companies and lookup different cams, input their adv exh dur into youtube and find one with an engine similar to your's and that will give you an idea of sound. The just gotta either stay under your max lift, or cut deeper spring seats and trim your guides. Hopefully this helps you guys with finding your preferable "sound".

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
A High Energy 268 has a good sound, but you'll definitely need a tune with it. Go to Youtube and search 268 cam....try and find one with cam specs in description, you're looking for around [email protected]" lift. It'll give you the sound you're probably looking for. I'm almost positive when you say lumpy, you mean a throaty sound....if not, then you're maybe wanting it to sound like it's about to die? The latter will have little to no driveability. Now it still depends fully on your engine specs, and your future plans, but an advertised 268 exhaust sounds really nice and still gives you okay low end on fuel injection, but I'd still get a small stall with it. If you go to comp cams, lunati, erson, or any of those companies and lookup different cams, input their adv exh dur into youtube and find one with an engine similar to your's and that will give you an idea of sound. The just gotta either stay under your max lift, or cut deeper spring seats and trim your guides. Hopefully this helps you guys with finding your preferable "sound".
i had a Comp XE268H, was pretty nice. not enough lope for me.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, the extreme energy is even more lopey....I've a 305 adv dur(custom grind), but i doubt it'll work. You would need to cut your stock pistons :evillol:

aclay

Reaction score
Have any of you guys with cams have trouble with the engine almost dying when it's idling and the A/C Compressor kicks on? I have 350 with a 262H Comp Cam.