97 5.7 cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redline97sbc

Reaction score
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-07-306-8/
just wondering if i could get by with running this cam or not. has anyone ran one of these in there 5.7 and was able to tune it???? also does it have a aggressive idle that is atleast noticeable, i love me a nice sounding cam :evillol:. all i have so far is a tune, but im going to be doing a truetrac with 4.10's or 4.30's and also a stall at some point in time. i just want a cam that is going to make some more power and have a nice mean sounding idle and not cause issues with the computer.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
:lol: cam has too much lift for stock vortec heads, look under .480 lift, and it even says not computer compatible, too big of a cam.

redline97sbc

Reaction score
hmmm because i remember reading a lot of thread and people doing the lt4 hot cams with i think atleast a .520 lift and running some special springs and what not and got by with the stock heads. i may be wrong tho i have not looked into for awhile now.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
hmmm because i remember reading a lot of thread and people doing the lt4 hot cams with i think atleast a .520 lift and running some special springs and what not and got by with the stock heads. i may be wrong tho i have not looked into for awhile now.

Hot Cam has .492 lift with your stock 1.5:1 rockers. It is doable, i have a .490 lift cam in my truck right now with Vortec heads and comp springs.

but the .540 lift on the original cam is ALOT of lift for vortec heads, you are asking for trouble.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran a ZZ4 (.510 exh lift at 1.5) on the stock heads with just a spring retainer change. you might be alright, I've heard people running up around .550 with the spring change, but I wouldn't rely on hearsay, I don't know what the actual upper limit is for the beehive springs on the vortecs, you'd want to do some serious measuring to make sure it would be okay before you start it. you'd also want to pay close attention and measure for stuff like valvetrain geometry.

that cam would work with the computer but would require some SERIOUS tuning to get it right. don't expect a mail order tune to do the trick at all, either tune it yourself, or get it on the dyno with a good tuner in-person.

redline97sbc

Reaction score
ya i just don't know the best cam to go with, im looking to go the most aggressive i can with out having to do head work or worry about something breaking. so should i go with a different cam???? if so any suggestions???? id still like to have a noticeable idle for sure as well.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya i just don't know the best cam to go with, im looking to go the most aggressive i can with out having to do head work or worry about something breaking. so should i go with a different cam???? if so any suggestions???? id still like to have a noticeable idle for sure as well.

there is no such thing as a 'best cam', its all kind of a trade off, if you want an aggressive sound, you're going to give up driveability, if you want high end power, you'll have to give up some low end, or vice versa, there are good all around cams, but they won't necessarily produce a lopey idle. and most of the time, a larger cam/more overlap will make things exponentially harder to tune, especially at idle and part-throttle.

first off, what is the truck used for? (daily driver, weekend warrior, drag racing, etc), what are your goals with it specifically, and what do you want the most out of the swap? (top end power, low end grunt, sound, etc), and what are you willing to do (or not do) for supporting mods? (head work, spring changes, tuning issues, pushrods, etc)

edit- also what are your future plans for the engine? (i.e. larger displacement (383), forced induction, etc)

Last edited:

gulleyman

Reaction score
I just had this one installed but it's having issues with starting and idling.
I had it tuned at Nelson, I started my own thread though, don't want to jack yours,
Here's a link to my post so you can follow along if you want. :D
Any updates, did you pick a cam yet?
You must be registered for see images attach

(sorry the image is huge):redxhitrf7:

Last edited:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
what do you use the truck for? your gonna hate a lumpy cam in a daily. trust me, its gets old FAST! (My truck has a ***** Thumpr cam with 107 LSA, Daily drove it all summer, was a PITA!)

ZaneDickerson

Reaction score
Why is a lumpy cam a pain?? I'm with redline97sbc... I want a cam you can hear loping in my daily driver but I don't know what to buy. I get decent mileage now and my truck has no top end power at all because of my gears, tire size, etc. A cam that would keep my mileage good with any horespower gain at all is what i want. Low end or top end is good and lopy idle is great.
Suggestions?