96+ temp gauge sender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So has anyone found the correct temp gauge sender yet? Id like my gauge to read correctly. Ive searched on here and it seems to be a lost cause. Im wondering if anyone has ohmed out the gauge and different sensors to find a match since the new ones dont match. Ive even tried from the dealer and the same.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do you mean by doesnt match? I wouldnt say the stock gauges are really THAT accurate any way, they give a good ball park but if you truly want to know what you are running an aftermarket gauge would probably be the route that I went. How far off is your gauge?

I have a 90 and I just got mine working this week for the first time in 10 years but it is within 10* from what I have tracked so far.

Reaction score
well its about 100 degrees at full operating temp. Its not the gauge, its not the wiring. Its the sensors. Ive got 6 of these trucks and had over around 10 and the only ones that displayed the correct temp was the ones with the original sensors.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will need to either find an adjustable sensor or find a different part number that has a resistance range that is closer to what your gauge needs to read correctly. To find out what range your gauge wants, get a potentiometer (0 to 250k ohms should work, these are available at radio shack, online, or at a guitar shop) and connect it between the sensor wire and ground. Adjust the pot till your gauge reads in the right range, and then find a sensor (BWD has specs on their sensors online) that matches. Wire in the proper pigtail for the sensor and Bob is your uncle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
So i used a couple different resistors to see what resistance the gauge wants.
Ohms----Temp F
180------about 140*
120------about 180*
100------about 210*
75-------about 235*

I've looked and cant find a sensor that is near these values.