96 Suburban with Hydro Boost needs brake upgrade BAD! please give your input on fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

irishluder

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got back from a camping trip this weekend and had a near collision occur on the freeway because my brakes wouldn't stop my burb at a reasonable rate. I was driving 65mph and kept a reasonable distance in front of me but it still wasn't enough so I had to jump on the brakes and the abs kicked in and I nearly rear ended the car in front of me....really scary because I had my 3 and 7 year old in the truck. This has happened several times with just me in the truck, but with my family in the truck, I really need to fix this!

My trucks stats and what I have done:
1996 GMC Suburban 2500 4x4 454 Hydroboost and 8 lugs
-Hawk Super Duty pads + OE quality shoes for rear
-refinished rotors and drums
-new hardware on rear drums
- Russell SS lines
-flushed lines with new fluid MANY times, hoping to improve pedal feel and engagement

What I would like to do and NEED YOUR GUYS INFO AND HELP!

-Upgrade rear drums to Disk brakes- anybody have a writeup for 8 lug or parts list? Is there a parking brake fix now?
-put new rotors, calipers, and pads up front- Recommendations?
-Upgrade to NBS master cylinder? I recently read a thread on a forum that said this made a huge difference because of volume pushed?

Thanks for the help guys!

irishluder

Reaction score
sorry for late reply,

265/70 or 75/16

slightly larger than stock....but not by much.

for searching purposes, regarding the NBS:

2002 suburban hydroboost master cylinder
OBS hydroboost unit

OBS unit must be machined to accept the NBS MC...takes slack out of pedal and engages the braking system quicker, also moves more fluid quicker. Your system must be working correctly, but makes a big difference per other members. I will be doing this upgrade next month:evillol: