96 suburban emissions thingy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
does anyone know if this is supposed to be open to atmosphere?

You must be registered for see images attach

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope. Should have a rubber hose on it that goes to the Evap on driver side, black box looking thingy...after looking at pic its just to the right of where your hand is.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope. Should have a rubber hose on it that goes to the Evap on driver side, black box looking thingy...after looking at pic its just to the right of where your hand is.
Thats incorrect. It is open ended. Not hooked up to anything. I think it is the vent side for the evap canester vent system. Here is a pic I just took of mine.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you trace the vacuum line back to the evap canester you will see that it is in front of this round servo, and that does run around the back side of the throttle body then to the round evap cannester. This is on the drivers drivers side, front corner next to the radiator.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Guess I'm wrong. I swapped motors in my Yukon, havne't finished, and can't remember lol.
Its all good. We all make mistakes. I just wanted to give the correct info. I had to go look at mine to make sure, but I thought it was open ended. I remember when I saw mine like that, I thought it had come loose also. But after some research, I found it is the vent side of the evap system. It had been a while since then, but after looking at mine it refreshed my old memory.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I appreciate both of you taking the time. I tried to look at my 98 c1500 but it has a different setup. I appreciate the picture and the info
I didn’t even know what to search for on this one, lacking the proper names.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thought I ripped it off in the middle of the tune up

It’s the wife’s truck and she doesn’t like CELs or the misfits on cyl 5 very much lol

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
does anyone know if this is supposed to be open to atmosphere?

It was definately open to the atmosphere on my 97 Express van too. I think that setup went away in 1998 when GM added a canister vent solenoid and evap pressure sensor into the system.