96 gmc 1500 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redgmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
to first answer darren250r question bout the tune yes it made a big difference in how it ran i drove the truck little while before tune and yes no good after tune ran much better more power and drivability is very good i had to drill hole in t/b butterfly to alow more air in so it would idle u may have to do the same for yours my little 305 put 257 hp and 275 torque to the ground i was inpressed and have recently found a supercharger for it that comes with 36 lb injector system i am goin to get that and change to shorty headers I spoke with the guy that builds this kit and he dynod a 98 chey with bone stock 350 and it only put down 189 hp to wheels lol and added his kit and dyno at 275 hp (I think) . anyway i Know there is no replacement for displacement but sure do like whoopn thos guys that think that with just a lil whimpy 305 as most ppl think lol

redgmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
and yes i am not goin to use 350 heads bc of the compression ratio 305 is already a lowcompression motor any way probly will just have the stock heads worked over and decked not much thow

redgmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
and darren250r how did thoughs heads work for you and are they for 350 or 305 chamber size?

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
the best thing to do for a 305 is Tuned Port Injection,turns them into a very strong low to mid rpm setup, so I would look for a complete TPI setup order a mild TPI cam redo the electronics and rock and roll or do as I am swap in an LT1 realistically a 5.3 vortec would be cheaper $800 would by motor wiring and ECM it will bolt to your trans fab motor mounts ..... a lot of people are doing this

look at this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-29135/?rtype=10

Last edited:

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got the heads for a 350. If you already have your heads setup for the cam lift, like I mentioned, just get them reworked and ported. Its alot of money for the new heads.

http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance/809/25534421/10002/-1

Good to hear the dyno tune helped a lot. I've heard of drilling that hole in the butterfly bigger, but some people say its a bad idea. Are you still running your stock black computer? Mine will start after it sits all day, but if I'm driving it and restarting it, I always have to give it gas to get it to start, then after a few revs it finds itself and will idle without dying. My idle is turned up to about 800 in the tune to keep it from dying when I put it in gear and stuff.

I don't think he'll be putting TPI on a vortec.

redgmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
darren250r yea thats way mine was bou the idle after tune would not idle had to give it pedal to get it to start and would barely idle after drilling the hole bigger in t/b it starts and idles great i will say when first starting it the idle is rough but comp soon finds its self and straightns out and yes i am running the stock black comp just tuned it the stock comp will handle anything

and i also will not be doin the tpi swap and yea heads are high there is nothing realy wrong with heads have they just need little help special after i add supercharger i believe i am goin to talk with that guy sum more that has kit and see wat he suggest goin to find out just how stought those stock rods are lol

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What does yours idle at when up to temp and in park? In gear? I bet if I drill the hole bigger, I would have to get the idle turned back down. I just don't want it to die when I put it in gear like it did before the tune.

redgmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
it idles at 800 i think not real sure i will check that tomorrow for ya to be positive and cant say in gear cause i have a 5 speed but also on drilling the hole out it doesnt take much at all im talkn very little makes lot of difference when drill it just barely shave little bit out then try it eaiser to take more out cant put it back in though lol

Darkside 94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat except I have a 94 305 non-vortec motor. I came across an article in Super Chevy July 2010 issue and they did a 305 Buildup. Loocks like a company named TrickFlow has some things for the 305 motors. Here's there link http://www.trickflow.com. Maybe this will help out.

redgmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i checked site and only really found lifters and rocker arms and couple cams not realy a hole lot but thanks for the info anything helps