96 gmc 1500 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redgmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
would like to know if any one know what heads would be good for it. The truck is a reg cab stepside with 305 and 5 speed manual the motor has long tube headers, cold air intake, mass air flow, lt4 hot cam, 1.6 roller rockers, 550 lift springs, and dyno tuned. I would like to find either intake and t/b or heads but cant find intake for it and dont know wat heads will work with intake that i have the tranny has hurse short throw shifter stage two clutch rear end is 3.42 with locker any help is appriciated

Last edited:

redgmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
this forum

this forum seemed to be a good one for 88-98 chevy teucks but gues no one realy knows much bout these trucks other than how to solve stock problems havent seen any performance mods answered here if any one know of a good forum that could learn more bout performance mods on these trucks would like to know

lowreese26

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been looking for the same things for my 305. But i cannot find any thing. Guess just not a popular motor to mod.
What kind of headers are you using?
And there is some very knowledgable people as far as performance goes. They just must haven't found your question.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
The problem with the 305 is..well, its a dog..nothing like the old 302's, not that great of number's, etc. What most people do is just swap in a 350 (there's no replacement for displacement). Because of that there's not much aftermarket support, and because of that it's oodles cheaper just to get the 350 and start from there. Just the gains in going to the 350 there's a lot of the power you'd gain from working the 305. Now yes all that said it is possible to find (eventually) performance 305 stuff, such as lt headers and vortec heads (maybe) from places like summit, jegs, or edelbrock, maybe even a swap meet or two, but even before you look for them think of how it'd be to work the 350 over with those exact same things and even more.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The problem with the 305 is..well, its a dog..nothing like the old 302's, not that great of number's, etc. What most people do is just swap in a 350 (there's no replacement for displacement). Because of that there's not much aftermarket support, and because of that it's oodles cheaper just to get the 350 and start from there. Just the gains in going to the 350 there's a lot of the power you'd gain from working the 305. Now yes all that said it is possible to find (eventually) performance 305 stuff, such as lt headers and vortec heads (maybe) from places like summit, jegs, or edelbrock, maybe even a swap meet or two, but even before you look for them think of how it'd be to work the 350 over with those exact same things and even more.

the only difference between a 350 and a 305 is the bore and the pistons, everything else in interchangeable... thus... if you find performance parts for the same era (if you have a vortec 305 parts for a vortec 350 will bolt right up) you should be fine. I have a similar setup as redgmc (without as many mods) and when your looking for heads or cams or intakes just look at stuff for 350s... I know this may open a can of worms but the the 305 is a solid motor, the problem you run into is the "no replacement for displacement" people who think the only way to make power is to swap something bigger in... you can make a 305 a good motor for decent money just look for 350 parts

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
the only difference between a 350 and a 305 is the bore and the pistons, everything else in interchangeable... thus... if you find performance parts for the same era (if you have a vortec 305 parts for a vortec 350 will bolt right up) you should be fine. I have a similar setup as redgmc (without as many mods) and when your looking for heads or cams or intakes just look at stuff for 350s... I know this may open a can of worms but the the 305 is a solid motor, the problem you run into is the "no replacement for displacement" people who think the only way to make power is to swap something bigger in... you can make a 305 a good motor for decent money just look for 350 parts

and with a larger bore you get a larger combustion chamber, which means you have larger everything in the chamber.. so no not technically interchangeable in the fullest sense of the word. The other advantage the 350 has over the 305 is longevity, as the 350's rings don't wear out as fast typically. And your right, swapping a larger engine isn't the ONLY way to make power..it's just often times the cheaper, quicker, easier method.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
and with a larger bore you get a larger combustion chamber, which means you have larger everything in the chamber.. so no not technically interchangeable in the fullest sense of the word. The other advantage the 350 has over the 305 is longevity, as the 350's rings don't wear out as fast typically. And your right, swapping a larger engine isn't the ONLY way to make power..it's just often times the cheaper, quicker, easier method.

basically you need to be smarter to build a 305 than a 350 :p

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the same internals as your motor on my 98. I didn't get it dyno tuned yet and I'm having a hell of a time with how it runs, idles and starts. I got a tune from black bear to get me close, but it is next to worthless. How did it run for you before and after the dyno tune?

I put gm performance parts vortec smallport bowtie heads on mine. You have to use your stock manifold unless you convert to a marine intake or ramjet or something similar which means quite a bit of money. You might look into seeing if the heads I got will work on your 305. I suspect it might lower your compression with bigger combustion chambers. GMPP has pretty good knowledge of compatibility if you call I think. I think your best bang for the buck would be to get the heads rebuilt, decked down a little to bump the compression and PORTED.

Get back to my on the tune and drivability of yours with the cam/rockers. Mine is really beginning to piss me off.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
you should never use 350 heads on a 305, you will drop the compression ratio.