96 ECSB stereo system build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm just thinking that the door drivers and the kick pannel drivers are not going to see eye to eye as far as air space goes and gives you some strange dynamics ...
Will they be on the same amp ?? and are you running active components or passive components ??

I actually deadened my doors and reinforced them ... then we made MDF "tunnels" to bring them out slightly beyond the door pannels to help out more with stage and image ...
Still got alot of fiberglass work to do on them ... but seem to be effective, I'm able to let them play down very low in the dynamic range ...

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey puresw... Awsum work... Its such a simple idea and u managed to perfect it... Tactical yet practical... Id buy a set if u ever.went in2 mass production btw...

puresw

Reaction score
Hey puresw... Awsum work... Its such a simple idea and u managed to perfect it... Tactical yet practical... Id buy a set if u ever.went in2 mass production btw...

Thanks man. I figured it would be good for the guys with the 94 and older interiors since there is no door location for speakers. I do own a car audio shop here in Hawaii and the thought of building and selling similar panels have always been in my head. I have built other pieces that I've shipped around the states for other vehicles maybe I can with these if there is interest.

puresw

Reaction score
I'm just thinking that the door drivers and the kick pannel drivers are not going to see eye to eye as far as air space goes and gives you some strange dynamics ...
Will they be on the same amp ?? and are you running active components or passive components ??

I actually deadened my doors and reinforced them ... then we made MDF "tunnels" to bring them out slightly beyond the door pannels to help out more with stage and image ...
Still got alot of fiberglass work to do on them ... but seem to be effective, I'm able to let them play down very low in the dynamic range ...

Yes the kicks and doors will most likely see different air space and may cause a difference in sound but the chances of them being recognized audibly will only show if the drivers were played and compared A/B. If this were a strictly SQ build then I wouldn't have even though about going with kicks and doors, I would've just probably done kicks and vent them. Hybrid drivers like kick and floor installations and most Hybrid users have had very good results that way. I'm going to see what kind of performance I can get out of them and I will A/B the kicks vs doors once I get everything built and installed. I am looking forward to see what kind of differences there are and what I can do to even them out as much as possible. I just recently found myself enjoying the simpler systems that I've been building here and it got me thinking about drastic do I really want to go with this system. It got me looking back at previous systems that I've built and owned and how much I enjoyed them without having to stress myself on exact speaker placements, crazy processing, proper stage height and width. In a sense I'm just taking it back to the roots haha. I wanted to build this system to use as a demo for my shop and eventually build a blow through and load it with 4 15's or something crazy ( again going back to the roots) I guess you could say this is more of an SQL system. I have my Lexus loaded with high end goodies that fills my need for a dead on SQ system.

When I get to the doors I'm going to unbolt the inner skin and deaden the doors solid and build a good mdf baffle that will probably be similar to yours and bring the woofer out closer to the door panel and rebuild the door panel itself and give it a little more flare.

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I get to the doors I'm going to unbolt the inner skin and deaden the doors solid and build a good mdf baffle that will probably be similar to yours and bring the woofer out closer to the door panel and rebuild the door panel itself and give it a little more flare.
I have GOT to get back to work on mine ... I have the system where I want it, I just wish I could get the funds to have the interior complety tricked out ...
Im working on it ...

I'm going to keep watching your build and hopefully learn something ...
Thanks bro ...

puresw

Reaction score
Thanks man. I see you did a nice blow through in your truck. Did you notice any increase in road noise after the blow through. It looks like you have either a beauty panel or the box itself over the opening so I'm guessing in your case you don't have much more noise than factory. I'm eventually going down that road but for now I just wanted something fairly simple.

Post up when you get your build started again I'd love to follow yours also. I'm sure we can both learn a few things from each other, we seem to have the same outlook in audio.

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The double baffle is my new back wall, so there is no road noise in my truck ... yes, the enclosure actually goes through the cut through area and does not touch the bottom of the bed in any way, as if it is an extension to the cab ... Enclosure (well, 2 separate enclosures) is ported and tuned to 22 htz utalizing external port tuning making the enclosure as small as possible (40 inches of 4inch PVC for port tuning in each enclosure) ... Yes, it would seem like a complete irrigation system of port tuning ... LOL ...

I compete Sound Quality with this system primarily because in the SPL world, there is not "Music" anywhere, just pushing air for a number ... kind of discraceful to car audio if you ask me personally ... This system gets fairly loud and has a good amount of bass to it, but Sound Quality is the only competition realm that utalizes a "Complete System Setup" judging format ... Honnestly, I'd just rater demo my products at shows / events to promote Linear Power than compete anyways, more fun and less stressful ...

Sorry for my rambling ...
How are you going to amp your system ?? separate amp for highs and a 4 channel for the mid bass drivers ??

puresw

Reaction score
The double baffle is my new back wall, so there is no road noise in my truck ... yes, the enclosure actually goes through the cut through area and does not touch the bottom of the bed in any way, as if it is an extension to the cab ... Enclosure (well, 2 separate enclosures) is ported and tuned to 22 htz utalizing external port tuning making the enclosure as small as possible (40 inches of 4inch PVC for port tuning in each enclosure) ... Yes, it would seem like a complete irrigation system of port tuning ... LOL ...

I compete Sound Quality with this system primarily because in the SPL world, there is not "Music" anywhere, just pushing air for a number ... kind of discraceful to car audio if you ask me personally ... This system gets fairly loud and has a good amount of bass to it, but Sound Quality is the only competition realm that utalizes a "Complete System Setup" judging format ... Honnestly, I'd just rater demo my products at shows / events to promote Linear Power than compete anyways, more fun and less stressful ...

Sorry for my rambling ...
How are you going to amp your system ?? separate amp for highs and a 4 channel for the mid bass drivers ??

Dude I totally feel you on the SPL rant. I'm not one for cramming a million watts and a thousand subs in my car to play it at 100hz and make numbers pop up on a meter. Well I've been there done that and did have fun then but that was more to promote my shop at the time. SPL is much bigger here than SQ, we don't even have a single SQ event here and that's sad. I tried so long to get something going here but to no avail. I even started to carry more of the higher end brands ( I am a dealer for Hybrid Audio Technologies, Morel, Genesis, Mosconi, Phass, Image Dynamics, Alpine ect...) to try and get people to see the difference in audio when you actually use it for what it is made for. I am a firm believer that car audio products were produced to LISTEN TO MUSIC and enjoy it. A hand full of guys including myself and a few product reps around here have been trying to push that very issue. That is one reason why i'm just taking the simple route with this build and I know I'm still gonna get great sound out of it, its just not going to be a dead on SQ car which I'm fine with.

As for amps I'm just going to run a single amp to power the front stage. I'm just using the passive crossovers that come with the comps and putting a Image Dynamics Q series 700.2 to them. That should give me a decent amount of power up front. I figured there is no sense in going active up front with the setup I'll be running. To many eq, crossover, time alignment, phasing, speaker placement issues to deal with by running two sets of comps in different locations.