96 drl?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
does a 96 sierra sle come with daytime running lights? ive never had them on my 96, just on and off with the knob, but suddenly today i have them, while the key is on i can turn the lights off and everylight but the headlights turn off, and when i turn off my key they go off, then come on as soon as i turn the key again, i figured something electrical was going haywire, but i have a fuse for it in my fuse block

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1996 K2550 has DRL and the Headlights are on any time the key is on, unless the parking brake is set. I plan to disable it when I get a chance. IIRC I believe the DRL relay just needs pulled and then the headlights function as any normal vehicle.

If the DRLs worked like my 2010 Equinox, then I would leave them alone. On the Equinox the lights are on when the key is on, but the DRLs can be disabled by turning the H/L switch backwards. The nice thing is the Equinox turns all of the other lights on when it is dark. This is my irritation with my 1996's system. It only turns on the headlights and nothing else. I have found myself driving down the road for a few minutes and never turning on the lights (I'm not a dumb driver, and if there was no headlights, I would turn them on when needed - as I do in my SS and my GTO). As a result the whole truck is dark (except the headlights) until I remember to turn the lights on - I'd rather just turn them all on when I want them on. If I had to have DRLs, I would like a system that is totally automatic like the Equinox (with the option of turning the lights off when you want).

Too much automatic crap takes any intelligence out of driving, which is part of the problem with all the horrible drivers on the road. They expect it to be automatic. I swear they build vehicles for dummies anymore.

gmcz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
im not sure what made them kick on, ive used my parking brake before, and released it, and still no drl's, but last night i was attempting to get my cargo light to work, and my buddy put the parking brake halfway down for some reason, and i didnt notice until i was half way home (ouch.) i looked down and saw the light on and released it, this afternoon i was pullin up to the shop and flipped my lights off and noticed they were still on....

gmcz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea, fuse 15 is the drl, but i dont mind them, just wondering why they never worked until now

gmcz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
nope, just looked at them, couldnt find one for cargo or third brake, all i did was pull the third brake off, then put it back on,but as i mentioned, maybe it was something with the park brake shutoff being stuck

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
My 97 K1500 did the same thing. I was told when I bought the truck it had DRLs but they quit working. I tried the fuse and all that, to no avail. But one day after releasing the brake (it slapped back pretty hard cuz I put a new spring on it) my DRLs came on and the light came on in the dash saying they were. So thats probably the answer gmcz71. Just a little dirt or something that was making your trigger not read the parking brake was off. Something simple. There are too many little things that can go wrong.

You must be registered for see images attach

Talisman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Reviving an older thread here, does anyone know if our DRL's operate the headlights at a lower voltage than when fully turned on? Curious just because I have HIDs and believe the lower voltage can prematurely burn out the bulb.