96 chevy truck engine change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RI Chevy guy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That doesn't sound right. There's a program/ tune for most anything out there. Surprised to hear that.
probably nothing plug and play, but there are a lot of people doing the black box computers. Look into Garret Tuning in northern Ohio, they helped me with mine

Fixitup

Reaction score
That doesn't sound right. There's a program/ tune for most anything out there. Surprised to hear that.
Ok here's where I'm at. It's a 95 got the truck idle issue was the iac plug was bad so replaced. Engin timing was way retarded so I set at 8 degrees big difference. Idles good at 750 rpm runs decent a little surge on hard take off. I'm going to readjust the valves as I hear a few loose ones.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The '96 and '97 PCMs are a little bit harder to find tuners for than '98+, but there are absolutely people out there who will tune them. Black Bear Performance can do '96 and '97 PCMs for sure, they tuned my '97.

https://www.blackbearperformance.com/

The tune needs to be addressed, that engine is never going to run right with the stock 305 tune.
BB’s website says the can’t do 96’, unless I’m stupid and just read it wrong, which is a very likely possibility.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BB’s website says the can’t do 96’, unless I’m stupid and just read it wrong, which is a very likely possibility.
Don’t make me say it!
You must be registered for see images attach

They just did my 96’.
Traditional Tune for 1996-2009($295.00)
Scan Cable Tune 1998-2009
AutoCAL V3 1998-2009

Last edited:

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m gonna try to either get another gmt400 or jump up to gmt800. Depends on what I find, I will NOT be going back to a V6 though. I’m liking the gmt800 cause there is so much more support and any clean gmt400 are getting expensive.

Silverado1994

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok here's where I'm at. It's a 95 got the truck idle issue was the iac plug was bad so replaced. Engin timing was way retarded so I set at 8 degrees big difference. Idles good at 750 rpm runs decent a little surge on hard take off. I'm going to readjust the valves as I hear a few loose ones.
Sounds like you're on a good roll bud.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned PCM Performance for a ECM as well as Blackbear. I don't have experience with either, but will soon. I am going to send in my ECM to eliminate a few things. Probably going to use PCM as they include return shipping to the customer and are closer to GA. Unless I hear of a few horror stories on here. I will report back my experience with them.
What year pcm i may can help and im closer