96 Chevy 1500 Engine Dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
The engine dies on me after startup, when I begin to go. I restart it, kinda does the same thing. Then when I go again its fine. It runs normal after that. 2 years ago the dealer performed a tuneup; plugs, dist. cap, rotor. At that time, the engine was really bad, die while driving, wouldn't start, a real pain in the as... Today I checked the TPS, IAT, EGR, all ok. The book mentions checking the dist. cap wire harness, check for vacuum leak. What do you guys suggest? What should I check? The spark plug wires are about 2.5 years old, good ones too. Any help?

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
Where are all the mechanics? I know somebody should know this one.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
Can anbody help? Don't want to take it the dealer again and get rammed!

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I highly doubt it's your spark plugs, or spark plug wires, or a vacuum leak, since it would run bad all the time. It could be any multitude of things, like the fuel pump. I'd start with checking my fuel pressure and if that is good move on to other things.

Whitehoe

The Big Bad Tahoe
Reaction score
does your radio reset it self after it dies? if it does check your battery connection i have a 95 and my battery connections came loose

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
Has a new fuel pump. What's next? The radio is fine, doesn't reset.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even with the new fuel pump I'd test the fuel pressure since it could be the fuel pressure regulator. The other thing that it could be is the spider fuel injector assembly, but there is only one way or really checking it fully and that is to pop the intake manifold off.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
The spider assembly was replaced about 3 years ago. It comes with a new regulator. One thing that I've tried is to cap off the egr. I saw it done on youtube and gave it a shot. The manual shows that it could be a smog device that might be bad, the egr is one of them. Its been capped off a few days now, and its been working, so far. I'll give it a couple more to be sure. I did all the tests that the manual shows for the valve, but it still could be bad though.