'96 C1500 Needs New engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sgt. Pepper

Reaction score
Hello fellow posters. I am an FNG. (As we used to say, you're an FNG until your first fire fight. . . . USMC - Nam '67 -'68)

I have a '96 C1500, Ext. Cab. SWB, 350/5 spd with 340,000 Miles. Most of the over the counter mods have been removed in the attempt to further the engine life and I rarely rev over 3K. I also burn a quart of oil every 500. (maintenance history: the usual intake manifold gasket replacement, one cracked head, on my 4th fuel pump, 1 radiator, 1 alternator, A/C compressor, the usual kind of stuff) Regular oil changes with Castrol GTX.

I have been exploring engine fixes and have made a couple of observations and have a question: The choice of crate engines is dizzying. I'd like to get a little more power with the replacaement engine, but here in is my question. Many vendors sell Long Block Vortec 350's (4 bolt main) in the $2,100 to $2,300 range. GM performance offers a plug and play 383 stroker for $4,800 +.

Are there alternatives that aren't as pricey as 383 Stroker? (I have searched here and over on the GM Full Size forum but have not been able to find the exact answer. )

Thanks. Oh. . . . I am not a handy guy, but I have three pals that are ASE Mechanics who can help with most of the work. Also, there is a speed and performance shop next town over that has a good rep.

Andy