96-98 Vortec Alternator Upgrade AD244

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kiss4afrog

Reaction score
Well SUmmit carries Tuff Stuff Alternators and they have a good price and I have $20 off from them, I think I am going to order one, made in the USA and 1 yr warranty.

And NAPA, Oreilly, Autozone will carry ones with lifetime. Depends on how long you're thinking of hanging on to it.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Would the new AD244 be a direct plug in play (plus belt) just like the old one?

For my 96 c1500 6.5, it was a direct swap, as far as plug goes. It's from an '04 GMC Envoy 5.3, it was the cheapest alt shown. I'm about to convert to external voltage regulation, so even if it's a cheapy chinese replacement, the weakest components(volt reg) will be replaced, and I've never heard of the windings/stator going out on the AD244 alts. Look for a Jim's Auto Parts store, they're backed by NAPA.

Knockoutpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I added my 250 amp alt from my 105, I had to reroute the heater hose to go above the alternator because the alt was too beefy for the hose to go around it..

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
I just got a 300 amp one custom made by Excessive Amperage, great job and direct bolt on.

Via tapatalk on my Galaxy Tab 2

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The cheapest aftermarket "audio-grade" alt I've seen, has been Tenney alts. He's a small new company, so he's underpricing the bigger companies. :p