95-up cruise control info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sweetk30

c3500-HD
Reaction score
got a 99 cab for parts 6.5 td / nv4500 and has c/c in it . . . have a 01 8.1L / nv4500 with non cruise . . anyone know the requirements for the swap ? yes 01 but same gmt400 body style as its a 3500-hd truck till 02 last year .

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s pretty much a standalone unit, the only input from the truck is the speed sensor from the transmission. The other wires just run to the multifunction switch.
I don’t know for sure but All the wires might be in the non-cruise truck you just won’t have the cruise components.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe all 8.1 had DBW throttle bodies. If that's the case . All you have to do is add a multifunction switch with cruise and wire to TAC module

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe all 8.1 had DBW throttle bodies. If that's the case . All you have to do is add a multifunction switch with cruise and wire to TAC module
You would be correct. All I had to do was pin 4-6 wires into the TAC module to make the factory switch on my 99 Tahoe work with the 8.1. From memory the cruise switch has 4 wires and a brake switch input or two that went to the cruise had to go to the TAC module too. I was lucky though, mine was already wired to the OEM cruise servo module and the TAC module bolts righ in place of the cruise servo. My PCM was out of an 02 Van that had factory cruise. Not sure if they were all programmed to use it or if the TAC module does it all. I made the wiring connections, clicked on the cruise power switch, pushed the set button and it worked. Same on the 87 van I put a DBW 6.0L into. I had to route a few wires on that one though. LT1Swap.com had the info when I did mine.

Last edited:

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would be correct. All I had to do was pin 4-6 wires into the TAC module to make the factory switch on my 99 Tahoe work with the 8.1. From memory the cruise switch has 4 wires and a brake switch input or two that went to the cruise had to go to the TAC module too. I was lucky though, mine was already wired to the OEM cruise servo module and the TAC module bolts righ in place of the cruise servo. My PCM was out of an 02 Van that had factory cruise. Not sure if they were all programmed to use it or if the TAC module does it all. I made the wiring connections, clicked on the cruise power switch, pushed the set button and it worked. Same on the 87 van I put a DBW 6.0L into. I had to route a few wires on that one though. LT1Swap.com had the info when I did mine.
Nothing in pcm program. TAC module does it all. The pcm never knows cause the TAC sends the commands

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing in pcm program. TAC module does it all. The pcm never knows cause the TAC sends the commands
I was not sure, I know some of the newer ones need programming to add cruise, but they do not have a TAC module. That must be E38/E40 and beyond stuff.