95 tbi to vortec build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justinhall17

Reaction score
I’m currently building a motor for my 95 tbi 350. I have a set of 906 vortec heads, new rotating assembly, new vortec to tbi intake(no egr), converged to roller cam. I’m looking for someone to burn a chip for me to disable the egr and tune to go well with the build!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you using the TBI water pump? If so, how are you dealing with the cooling-system bypass from the cylinder heads to the water pump on the right bank?

If you're using the TBI water pump, you'll continue to use your TBI front accessory drive parts. If you're using the Vortec pump, you might need a Vortec accessory drive.

Why not keep the EGR?

Justinhall17

Reaction score
Are you using the TBI water pump? If so, how are you dealing with the cooling-system bypass from the cylinder heads to the water pump on the right bank?

If you're using the TBI water pump, you'll continue to use your TBI front accessory drive parts. If you're using the Vortec pump, you might need a Vortec accessory drive.

Why not keep the EGR?

is there a best option to go with as far as that coolant system bypass I guess I hadn’t really thought about that yet. And as far as the egr I don’t have to worry about emissions control and the cats were already removed when I got the truck. The intake I have also doesn’t have egr as the aftermarket one with egr was pricing around 500 ish just for the intake and the one without egr from summit was around 160.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is there a best option to go with as far as that coolant system bypass I guess I hadn’t really thought about that yet.
You'll want to look at how the braces for the alternator, A/C compressor, and belt tensioner are going to attach to the intake you're using. If the TBI accessory drive is going to be difficult to connect to the manifold, you might be better off to use the Vortec accessories. I don't have a Vortec system to look at, so I don't know how/where it might be different. Fairly sure there's a hose from manifold to water pump.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The accessory drive is mostly compatible. The extra stock bracing arms don't fit. I've been doing without them, but plan on building new ones when I finally start putting serious miles on the truck.

A bigger concern is mounting the throttle and TV cable (is '95 TH700R4 or 4L60E?). I chopped and welded my bracket extensively before I was happy with it.

I'm running the Summit intake on a Vortec headed TBI truck, but I also converted to a Holley Sniper instead of getting a tune.
View media item 32217

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
is there a best option to go with as far as that coolant system bypass I guess I hadn’t really thought about that yet.

The best is to drill the bypass hole in the passengers side head, run your standard TBI pump on the TBI block that will keep the bypass working. This way you can keep your heat diverter valve, just need to plug the bypass in the intake.

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bigger concern is mounting the throttle and TV cable (is '95 TH700R4 or 4L60E?). I chopped and welded my bracket extensively before I was happy with it.

I ran an Edelbrock Throttle Cable Bracket, number 8032. Made pretty much specifically for these swaps.