95 Surging down highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emyywud

Reaction score
What would cause my truck to surge under light acceleration down highway. In park you can rev it up with no surging or missing. Tps and plugs have been replaced. Thanks and any help would be appreciated. Egr is new also. No codes have shown up.

Last edited:

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
What would cause my truck to surge under light acceleration down highway. In park you can rev it up with no surging or missing. Tps and plugs have been replaced. Thanks and any help would be appreciated. Egr is new also. No codes have shown up.
Is the surging consistent or intermittent? My truck used to surge intermittently down the highway and never threw a code. Used to be able to drive it like normal with the occasional surge every so often. By occasional surge I mean it surged for like a half second on the highway then proceeded to run like nothing ever happened. Not enough to be alarming, but enough to feel and keep an eye on. Fast forward 20k+ miles later and my dizzy is shot. I had a feeling from the start, but didn't want to lose my OEM dizzy. Now I'm forced to replace it with an aftermarket alternative as my truck barely runs at the moment.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of times it's the ICM that causes surging.
Oh interesting, good to know thanks! I don't want to derail OP's thread so I'll keep this next bit short. My truck threw codes P0340 & P0341 (included link to my thread) and Schurkey suggested it could be a worn out dizzy. Figured since the ears on my distributor were stripped anyways from previous mechanics, it was time to replace it. I'll update my thread once some time passes. If it persists, this will most likely be the next thing I'll look into.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Chuggle can be be reduced or eliminate by reducing spark plug gap to .045 on tbi engines.

however, clarify what you mean by surge, do you mean chuggle and what speeds specifically and what gears and is it related to TCC lockup or unrelated