95 FUEL GAUGE PROBLEM=========

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
Installed a 98 fuel pump assembly into my 95 GMC Sierra. Doing a lm7 5.3 swap. Anyway, the fuel gauge doesn't work right with the 98 sending unit. Can I install a 98 stepper motor in place of the old 95? If so, where can I get one? Tried looking online, can't find it. Haven't contacted the dealer yet. Any help would be great.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On 98 the fuel level signal goes through the pcm before it goes to the gauge. That is probably part of your problem but I don't know anymore about it than that. I doubt putting the 98 motor in would fix it.

Why did you change to the 98 sender? You could have just swapped the pump into your factory sender I think.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
On 98 the fuel level signal goes through the pcm before it goes to the gauge. That is probably part of your problem but I don't know anymore about it than that. I doubt putting the 98 motor in would fix it.

Why did you change to the 98 sender? You could have just swapped the pump into your factory sender I think.
The reason I have the 98 assembly is that I'm in California and need the fuel tank pressure sensor on the assembly ( smog ).
What if I were to use a 98 instrument cluster console, would that work?

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
Looks like nobody knows the answer to thos one. Does anybody know if the 98 fuel gauge motor has the same ohms resistance as the 95? I need a 40 ohm empty, and 250 ohm full gauge. Hoping the 98 has it. Contacted the dealer, they gave me a number to a place they deal with. That place told me they don't know. Oh boy!??:banghead:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No sry man I have no other ideas. Just putting a 98 cluster in probably won't fix it. I doubt any of the gauges would work at all. The 95 had lots of one year only things just like the 98s did.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
No sry man I have no other ideas. Just putting a 98 cluster in probably won't fix it. I doubt any of the gauges would work at all. The 95 had lots of one year only things just like the 98s did.

Is the 98 cluster look the same in the back? Another question, if for some reason the 98 fuel gauge won't work with this application, what other options do I have? I would need to find a gauge that is 40 ohms at empty and 250 ohms at full. Once I find this gauge, hows it going to hook up? Anybody with any ideas?