95 chevy k2500 deisel 4x4 hunting truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BayDog

Reaction score
So I'm waiting on my truck to get out of the shop. Just getting it running, pretty much stock except 3" body lift and 315 75 16 mg nittos.

Anyway, just thinking about the next steps. What would you do to the truck if it were going to be a hunting rig? It may need to tow a boat or utv every once in a while, and ill want it to get me to my hunting spot, but I also want it to perform in the Florida backwoods.

Not really worried about appearance to much. You guys thier out some ideas for me please:..

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
4 inch pipe from down pipe behind turbo with nice 4 inch straight through muffler and a 4 inch turndown, I had this on my 6.5, it was great, it sounded good, really woke up the turbo, and increased MPG's.

BayDog

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I forgot about the straight exhaust, its already been done.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lower gears and a rear locker is what I would suggest to do next. A Locker at least.

Also a good sealed fill box to keep hunting gear dry.

Reaction score
I would say a winch would be a good first step so when your wheelin you can be a little more confident when you dive into some nasty spot.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
PMD relocate would be a good plan... pick up a #9 resistor while you're at it.

BTW I love that your 2 vehicles are damn near the same as mine... 94 6.5l blazer (14bsf rear axle), and a 2006 M6 GTO

Balzer

and Mean Girl *truck*
Reaction score
If you have the bigger 8 lug front you can also put a traction device in the front. Im not familure with your area but florida says mud to me so I would probably do some small easy mods to keep mud out of vital areas. Some old inner tube rubber to cover the bottoms of the inner fenders to keep mud out of the engine bay. Things like that make life a bit easier. Extend vents on diffs trans and x-case. Make sure all your drive train fluid levels are topped off, everything has grease.
I agree with a winch On a hunting truck I would probably do the removable reciver hitch type.

How big do the hogs get there? Maybe a bed crane would be helpful if they are big. These come in a variity of configurations including folding ones.
Just an example-> http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-with-cable-winch-37555.html
Lights?

Put together an essentials kit, survival stuff, recovery equipment, hunting gear that can stay in the truck at all times. You probably already knew that much LOL

BayDog

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.
So if I went lower gears, id probably go 410s, that should bring me to around stock rpms with 35s right?

And for a locker i think I'd go with a Detroit, I like the idea of an air locker, but I'm not sure its needed?

A winch is a great idea, how big does it have to be for a truck like mine? Winches get really expensive, any suggestions?

Pmd relocate and the resistor I have, one of the first things I got. And yeah man, love my gto, its all stock till I pay it off, then its gunna be hard to decide which vehicle to mod first.

I don't think is want to mess with the front dif. I have heard they can get torn up pretty quick, is say a rear locker and a winch should do the job.
And keeping the water out mods are a great idea. The hogs get pretty big here, but I've never had trouble loading them up, cause I'm usually with other people, and if I wasn't I'd just let them go... I hunt with dogs, so I can catch and release.

Thanks again for the replies, always good to get new ideas

Balzer

and Mean Girl *truck*
Reaction score
4.10/4.11 should work well for 35's and a deisel, 4.56 would be good as well but you would loose a bit on the highway. There are cheaper lockers but it is hard to beat a good ole detroit.

Winches do get expencive and for your big truck with the heavy diesel an 8k would be the bare MINIUM. There are a lot of cheaper winches out there but warn is the best IMO. The warn on my jeep I got in a trade of some old junk. It was beat up and had a broken mount. But any and all parts for warn winches are availible from warn and they are pretty simple to repair and rebuild. I was in my winch $500 all said and done but I went with synthetic rope, alum thimble and alum hawse farelead that accounted for about half the cost. SO you would be money ahead to buy a used one even if you have to repair/rebuild it. If I was to go out and buy my winch new with the extras I mentioned it would be a little over $2000.

Sounds like you have a good plan so far. People are often suprised how well a simple reliable built truck does.