'95 Chev NO REVERSE, Other Gears Work Fine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93SierraZ71

Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm new to the forum, finally decided to join... I am having a transmission problem that's really bugging me and I would much rather spend the least amount of money possible. I can't find and info on similar problems and every junkyard and tranny shop is telling me I need a rebuild (of course).
The truck is a 1995 Chevy 1500 4X4 with the 4L60E. I bought it to restore and bought it knowing it had driveline issues. The previous owner lost DRIVE AND REVERSE with no warning, just started it up and wouldn't move, he is a good friend of mine and told me what happened and offered it to me cause he knows I can't pass up on a GMT400 ;) I came over to look at it and put it in drive and it started moving but still NO REVERSE. It shifts up and down perfectly but reverse is like neutral. I checked the fluid and found it to be low and dark coloured, so added some fluid and still nothing. I drove the truck around for about two weeks and it runs and drives fine. I lost reverse in my '93 Sierra, but GOT IT BACK after a couple days by revving it up with the shifter in the "R" position so that's part of why I feel there's still hope.
I pulled the pan, fluid was black with sludge in the bottom of the pan, a little grittiness but nothing really to suggest broken parts. Threw a new filter in and going to add fluid and try it out but truck needs much more work now from sitting out back and I only have so much time and money. Anyways if anyone has any suggestions or ideas, feel free to throw them out there, I would really appreciate the help! Thanks in advance :)
(I already posted in huge tranny trouble thread, but it seems kinda dead...)
Bryan

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Sadly I doubt that your going to get it back if It didn't come back right after you added more fluid.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed... There are 3 8mm bolts that bolts on the valvebody plate at the very rear of the valvebody that if left loose will cause no reverse. I have never ran into it however as a drive in problem. Usually they are forgotten on the rebuild. You may can fix it without a rebuild, but it definitely will need to be pulled out and tore down. 3 main "no reverse" issues are 1. Sunshell (but you lose 2nd and 4th also) 2. reverse input drum (the drum the band wraps around) 3. Low/Reverse clutch (last set in the bottom of the case). Good Luck and post the fix!

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
You are about going to have to tear it down and see whats wrong. There are so many things that can cause this. If you can pull one of these transmissions out, you can rebuild one yourself. Sounds like its about to need it anyway after your description of the contents of the pan and condition of the fluid. It has probably lost the low/reverse clutch pack and is defaulting 2nd gear when you put it in drive. That, a stuck booster valve, or the snap ring missing/broken on the reverse input drum is about all that would cause it to only lose reverse. That black sludge in the pan is the friction material off the clutches. For under $500 you could put a new converter in it and rebuild it yourself, I would strongly recommend a book like this: http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/893300/10002/-1. It will give you step by step instructions and tell you how to check and make sure your problem is resolved before it goes back together.

Last edited:

93SierraZ71

Reaction score
Well I got her all fixed up and drove it around a bit, still no reverse but if i'm moving forward and throw it into reverse there's resistance and it slowly brings the truck to a stop... Not really sure I want to tear into the transmission myself. I would like to figure out the problem but I will probably just pay the 2 grand for a factory reman and put an aux cooler on it.
Bryan

ReadinessRob

Reaction score
Instead of a factory reman what about a Monster Transmission? I priced one with all the bells and whistles and it came out to $1,600 USD. Just my small contribution. Hope things work out.

93SierraZ71

Reaction score
Instead of a factory reman what about a Monster Transmission? Just my small contribution. Hope things work out.

I actually looked at a Monster Transmission, It came out to like 1800 bucks. A GM factory tranny comes out to like 2000 before the core charge and everything. For the time being i'm looking out for a used one, gave a few wreckers my number. Another possibility is a parts truck, I found a 95 GMC not to far away with a shot body, could probably pick it up for 600 or 700 and use it's tranny while I save for a new one.

Bryan

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Just be sure your tail shaft is the same as yours, you will have to have the transfer case adapter if yours is a 4 bolt and the one you find is a 6. Output shafts can be swapped to make a 2wd trans a 4wd. Probably best to leave that to a trans shop because it has to come pretty much completely apart to change it. Most don't charge too terribly much to do the swap for you tho.