95 4.3 W/T, no crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96RedCav

That Cavalier guy
Reaction score
Its a 95 w/t with an engine out of a 94. We got power to the starter but it wont crank. It just clicks the soleniod. Took it out and tested it, starter works fine. Yes there is enough power to the starter, checked connections and fuses, just cant think of what it could be..

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I worked on a car with a starting problem like that. But what you can try is get a set of jumper cables, first just take the ground, one side to the - on batt., then put the other end on to the starter make sure it get a good bite and try cranking again with ignition switch if it cranks you got a bad ground going to the block.

If that dont work leave it hooked up for the time being and now put positive on batt and you use the other end to jump off the starter. If that works you main + line going to starter is bad.

This only works if you are sure the batt and starter are good

And if that dont work then i don't know because doing that i found out what was wrong with what i was working on, But my best guess would be is to check for 12v going to the little wire which i believe is purple and see if its got 12v when you try cranking because it may be getting power but not enough to completely kick in the solenoid

Last edited:

96RedCav

That Cavalier guy
Reaction score
Would that still let the solenoid to fire if the nss was bad? It is sounding like the solenoid is engaging but not spinning the engine. The engine doesnt jump/shake either, as it would if the starter was jamming on it...

Already put a fresh positive cable on it.. Im going to look into the grounds next.

Last edited: